Sunday, November 14, 2010

SURPRISE!!!

I LOVE throwing Surprise parties for people. The element of surprise is absolutely one of my favorite things in life. People love to be surprised (whether they say it or not). The anticipation on the side of the giver and the shock and delight of the receiver...all magic.

I have thrown 5 or so surprise parties in my life and I will continue to do so forever, because its just so darn fun.

The first one was for a girlfriend in elementary school...had a bunch of kids hiding in the basement...forget who the girl was...but I remember the surprise and feeling so excited in the moment.

One of my favorites was for my parents anniversary...it was a double whammy, because Shayne and I flew into town unannounced had a whole set up....and walked through the front door...mom couldn't even speak to us...she just burst into tears...dad was overwhelmed...it was AWESOME. Then two days later we threw a big party with all of their dear friends and again they had no clue and watching their faces as everyone yelled "SURPRISE" priceless....such a real, authentic, joyful moment for everyone.

Of course sometimes things can backfire...like when I was dating this doorknob years ago...I had planned a huge surprise party for his birthday. Cakes, balloons, fridge stocked with booze and all. he got so hammered with his guy friends beforehand, he got mad at me for taking him away...said I was a very selfish person for not letting him spend his birthday with his buds.....I burst into tears.....uhhhh SURPRISE??? well that was awkward...needless to say I broke up with him that night.

Other than that shitty instance....all of my other surprise parties have been a great success. I even started throwing surprise party's for myself because I liked them so much. Well...I guess I wasn't really surprised...but I always threw myself a good party....why not...no one else is gonna do it for me!

Surprise parties are a bit of an effort of course...but so well worth it, and I am good at it. Not sure how I got to be so good at it...since I am such a crappy liar...but I guess when I know they are lies for a great purpose and benefit....they just trickle out with ease!

Last night I had put together a little surprise party for my dear friend Carmen's 40th birthday. With some help from her wonderful friends, I had everyone get all gussied up...tuxes, 3 piece suits, cocktail dresses...it was WONDERFUL to see everyone looking so gorgeous. I served up some sexy cosmopolitans, that I had pre-made in a glass pitcher. Ready to pour as the guests arrived. A smattering of delicious foods...everyone brought a little snack...Aryn brought a lot of yummy appies including deviled eggs, cheese twists and mixed Olives dressed with lemon zest and herbs...yum! I did a bunch of hot items since we weren't eating a proper dinner.....chicken sates, dates and parmesan wrapped in bacon (my sinful favorite), asparagus wrapped in prosciutto (easy and always a hit), Thai prawns and chocolate cupcakes. The cupcakes looked gorgeous with their snowy white frosting...but unfortunately the recipe wasn't all that great...and a lot of effort, so I don't think I will be making those again.

Everyone arrived early, sipped and nibbled until our guest of honor arrived. You could feel the excited anticipation in the air as everyone scurried to find their hiding places. SURPRISE!!!! indeed she was surprised and it was awesome to watch. The evening was super fun and ran smooth as cream thanks to my buddy Aryn who helped me out so much in the kitchen...she is such a chef extraordinaire.

I look forward to arranging yet another surprise party one day...for some deserving soul....last night it was Carmen....maybe next time it will be you...or me! :)

Consider throwing a party for a loved one, as everyone will certainly ENJOY!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

So, by my math you average 1 surprise party thrown once every 6.6 years so I guess my surprise party may actually come within the next year.