Monday, November 29, 2010

Fire and Water

It's just not worth it....you know...not making an effort to go to a restaurant you really want to, and instead eating where it is convenient. I am staying at the Marriott hotel in Victoria on business and it is pissing rain out...cold and dark. Granted, I can no longer drive at night, because my vision is crap in the dark...and I was too cold to walk anywhere.

Fire and Water is the name of the restaurant in the Marriott and the atmosphere is charming...it has a nice cozy feeling, with the large fireplace...and right now it is all decorated for Christmas, making the room feel even more lovely.

I have eaten here a few times (due mainly to laziness at the end of my work day...and the fact that I simply can't see at night) and have consistently been underwhelmed. Everything is just okay. However, the price point says it should be excellent. One glass of wine and an average dinner and the tab is over $40. Tonight I ordered their Fisherman's Hot Pot....which sounded much better than it was. Meant to be like a Cioppino, this version was quite bland and all of the fish seemed to be on the dry side. The broth could have used some real inventiveness...some fresh herbs perhaps....a zing, a zap....just something damn it.

I really wanted to try Brasserie L'ecole or any one of the myriad other wonderful dining establishments in Victoria...but alas...I had a full day...I am tired, and now full...with a crappy aftertaste of cardboard and bandaids (for some reason..not sure).

I am sitting by a window watching the leaves swirl around on the ground, and the branches of the trees shiver and shake...perhaps I made a good choice to stay put after all. I suppose sometimes comfort can triumph good food??? I hate myself for even writing that...but alas...tonight, its true.

Now I just have to make my way back upstairs to my cozy room...watch a little tube, dream a little dream and enjoy.

No comments: