Monday, November 8, 2010

Notte's Bon Ton

Another wonderful Roast chicken Sunday family dinner. Not with my family...but with my new family...Ivan's mama and her boyfriend Mike joined us for a cozy dinner. They just returned from a month long cruise, so we got to view their gorgeous photos, drink lots of wine and eat my yummy chicken dinner.

This time instead of rice, Ivan really wanted red new potatoes. So I did them up like my mom used to.. sliced in half and boiled till fork tender, drained, tossed with butter, salt and fresh scallions....and they were soft, pillowy and delish. Roasted asparagus for the greens and dinner is complete. I think roast asparagus is the easiest veggie to prep...pops into the oven while the chicken rests, drizzled with olive oil, s & p, give the pan a shake half way through and you have got yourself a damn good side dish!

They were sweet enough to buy a cake from their favorite family bakery called Notte's Bon Ton Ivan and his family used to get all of their cakes and treats from there, and Ivan and his dad would go in once (or probably twice) a week when he was young to have coffee and eat a treat. To me, their pastries are much to sweet...I do not have a sweet tooth to begin with, but these are overthetop sweet and rich. Ivan has this adorable tradition to purchase one of their log cakes at Christmas time....it is CRAZY thick, dense and SWEET...but it is a true work of art. It looks like a smurf village...you have to order it ahead of time and it costs around $70!!!!!!!!!!!! But it was his family tradition, so we carry it on in our family too.

Anyway, Ruth knew I wasn't crazy about real heavy, sweet cakes so she bought me their very famous diplomat cake. I have to say, I enjoyed it very much, yes it was sweet, but it had a lot of interesting texture..soft and creamy layered with flaky pastry....there was plenty left over so Ivan ate some for breakfast. My gosh, that family sure loves their sweets....so European. I guess the Metis in me craves bannock vs. bon ton. But it was so lovely of them to bring cake because I really did enjoy!

1 comment:

helen said...

Are you Metis??? I have run into a number of Metis over the years and I find that particular sect of our Canadian mix amazingly interesting!!! You are so lucky! The Metis history is so interesting and SO imbedded in our Canadian history. We shall have to talk one day!