Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Dinner Delight a la Aryn

How spoiled was I yesterday- VERY! My dear friend Aryn had her mommy and myself over for a true gourmet delight. I have only met Helen once before, but we clicked instantly...and it was so nice to spend some time with a mommy, since I am missing mine so much. After work, I zipped home to finish the raspberry coulis for my dessert, which was the bourbon chocolate torte from one of my fave cookbooks Rebar....so easy to whip up and perfectly decadent for a dinner party.

I packed up my wine, left some dessert for Ivan and his buddy, who were watching the hockey game on the big screen like two little boys. Chips, steaks, cocktails, and of course the famous pickles that Elliot LOVES, and I believe he takes everywhere with him. It was pretty cute.


So off I went with my torte and a bottle of white to Aryn's place. There is something so wonderful to me about getting in the car to go over to a friends home for dinner. It's relaxing, and exciting, I am always curious as to what will be eaten, and so content that I know someone else is doing the cooking and the dishes and I just have to sit, eat and relax!


We started by sipping a bottle of white that Helen brought home from Germany on her 2 month cruise...it was a nice addition to slip into bubbling conversation, as women tend to do...and its especially easy with these two chickes, because not only are they both great listeners, but they also have so many fascinating story's to share. Helen always seems interested in EVERYTHING...and she insists it's because she is just nosey, but I can tell it's just because she is a very caring and loving person...same as her daughter (and I am not saying this just because you both are reading this right now...hahahaha).


Onto the FOOD. I won't even do this justice, but Aryn started with something 100% better than any fancy restaurant....she created a mushroom cake as the base...soft and tender, topped with bacon, then a plump scallop, dotted with bits of caramelized apple and leek with a delicate sauce and you should be completely jealous, because it was AMAZING! It looked very intimidating to make, so I am glad I was the one eating it. The combination of flavours was just awesome.


Dinner was equally amazing, with a perfectly cooked salmon fillet...which had a slightly crisp top, but very tender middle, I believe there were leeks on top of that as well, and a beautiful sauce with fresh tomatoes, thyme and I can't even begin to imagine what else. Lovely, thin, delicate asparagus gracefully laying in the middle of the plate and a pile of soft creamy POTATO risotto?! Never had this before, but it was wonderful. The meal was very satisfying, and I really didn't even need dessert afterwards...so we gabbed for a bit, made some space in the ol belly and dug into the chocolate torte. I have to admit, it was excellent! When making something so chocolaty, be sure to use the best dark that you can find. I like getting the huge slab hunks of Bernard Callbaut from Kitsalano Natural Foods in the bulk section.

What a wonderful ladies night...great food, nice wine and excellent conversation...get together with your chickie friends soon, or the guys to watch a game and Enjoy!

1 comment:

helen said...

Oh Heather, you are truly a treasure! I meet zillions of people in my life but only one or two ever stand out...and you truly are one of them. Always remember that you are smart and strong and you definitely know what you need to to be your best. At least that is the woman I got to know last night. I am so happy you are my daughter's friend.