Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Vancouver International Film Fest

So I took a bit of the left over dim sum from yesterday's lunch home for Ivan. I asked him if he liked it, and he said..yeh..but that one rice thing was really tough. I paused to think about it for a moment, and asked "you didn't eat the leaf did you"....yup he did....he ate the whole fricken lotus leaf...HILARIOUS. I don't think Ivan has been for dim sum since he was young, so had no idea he was meant to unwrap it and just eat the rice!!!!! It will be interesting to see how his digestion works over the next few days.

So the Vancouver International Film Fest is on currently and we have been trying to see a few flicks here and there. I loved the movie Fathers and Sons, which is a local flick, with lots of local Van talent. It was awesome! Funny, truthful, sad and clever. The cast was amazing...and apparently there was no script! The whole movie was improv...the director Carl Bessai had a basic story he wanted to tell and they would rehearse a few times and then just go for it...and WOW...it all came together perfectly!

After the movies are over, the cast and director will stand in the front for a Q and A.....and we listened intently to the questions, and then went up to the front after everything ended to shake hands and congratulate them. Ivan knew most of the cast....but I had not met any of them before, and I am always trying to schmoose...so finally Ivan introduced me to Ben Ratner...he did a GREAT job in the film...very funny...but not so chatty or vibrant in real life... I was my usual bubbly self and tried to think of something clever to ask him about the movie...but because he has such and unreceptive air about him, my brain froze and instead I said "So...Ben, I don't know much about this movie biz, so I am wondering, when you and Jay Brazeau were in that knife scene, did you really stab each other?" Ivan was mortified, and laughed loud and uncomfortably saying "Heather...as if you thought that was real" I knew it was a dumb question...but there was no backing out., I had gone too far...so then I said "well what about that part where Jay was bleeding with the stitches.....then quickly attempted to cover by saying...I guess that was makeup." By now Ivan is trying to hide his wedding ring....but Ben was gracious enough to not say..."wow, Ivan, your wife is sure dumb" and instead said...well that's good, because obviously we made it look real. Thanks Ben....you really saved me there.

We saw him again last night at the screening of Amazon Falls, and Ivan wanted me to go up to him and tell him I didn't really think it was real....WHATEVER...who cares what little Ben thinks of me...I am sure he doesn't even remember (uhhh...hopefully).

The cast of Amazon Falls was awesome as well...although the movie was too slow for my liking and didn't really reach its full potential. The director is lucky she had the cast she did, because they really made the movie. April Telek was a pure sex pot and did a phenomenal job....really exposing herself in such a brave way. But the ending was weak and the story was typical, but just not strong enough for moi.

If you are looking for something to do over the next few weeks, check some of the movies out, support our local community and enjoy!

No comments: