Saturday, October 2, 2010

Breakfast of Champions

So this morning we got up pretty early, but lazed around till about 7:30. Ivan is doing a little reunion bike ride to celebrate the successes they had this summer in the Ride to Conquer Cancer. Ivan was able to raise a tonne of money and rode his bike for two days to Seattle. He constantly amazes me, that man! So I wanted to make him a hearty breakfast that would fuel him throughout the morning.

I decided to re-create that wonderful Oatmeal I had at the Blue Fox in Victoria a week or so ago. So I made the steel cut oats as per the directions on the tin...they take a while, but its worth it.

I threw a frozen banana in the oven at 350 for about 15-12mins (till nice and baked....you can smell it). Sliced the banana peal open and scooped out the gooey insides and folded it, along with some cinnamon into the creamy hot oatmeal (after it was done cooking). I topped this with toasted pecans (just heat a dry pan on medium and toast until they are fragrant). I drizzled a bit of Organic maple syrup on top and voila! It was perfect. Ivan added a little Vanilla Rice milk (what we are drinking now since I have discovered I am allergic to Soy, Almond and Cow's milk).

there are most certainly a million different ways you can jazz up your oatmeal....just skip those pre-packaged ones as they are filled with sugars and salt and a bunch of other crap. Take the time to do it right and Enjoy!

No comments: