Monday, July 5, 2010

Niagara Falls


I can hardly believe how quickly the time has past since my last entry...and how much I miss it! There is something so therapeutic about writing your thoughts down and sparking that other side of your brain...you know, the side that just makes you smile and feel wonderful as you go!

I can certainly say that the past few weeks have been filled with great food, great cocktails and fabulous people! Such a lucky gal am I!

I was in Niagara on the Lake for a work planning session, and what a fabulous area of the world. Not to be mistaken for Niagara Falls, with its Vegas style bells and whistles...Niagara on the Lake almost feels like old school Georgia or Tennessee..the rich part, with some amazing homes, sweeping front porches, sprawling green lawn...you almost think your butler will appear before you with cool glass of fresh squeezed lemonade! We were most generously put up at the Pillar and Post boutique hotel, which was absolutely filled with old world charm. Not sure what a "drawing room" was in the old days...but it felt like I was in the drawing room....just sounds proper and dapper...that is the type of verbage you would use in this hotel....as in....my my Pete, you certainly are looking quite dapper today. The food was just okay, but the area is sprinkled with some gorgeous Vineyards and places to dine. The rooms were lovely as was the pool and lounge area...as this was a work occasion, I did not have a chance to explore the spa or the area much, but Niagara on the Lake is a must for a little romantic get-away!

We were treated to diner one evening at Peller Estates Winery which was fantastic! We had a fun tour of the property/vines and ended in the splendid and modern cellars for a wine tasting....to spit or swallow??? (well depends on the activity I suppose) but I drank every last drop of those beautiful wines. We are certainly spoiled in Canada with such fantastic wine regions! Dinner was equally amazing, with a three course plated meal, complete with wine pairings, I highly recommend eating here as the chef came out afterwards to explain that their concept is truly to use as much local product as they possibly can, and it shows...everything was awesome! But skip the crumble and go for the mousse for dessert (although I am sure the menu changes seasonally).

The last evening of the trip was spent touring Niagara Falls, which I apparently saw when I was young...but remember nothing of the area except for the souvenir shop my brother and I went into...he was desperate to buy a whoopee cushion...so mom and dad forked out the bucks and he brought it back to the motorhome (our preferred mode of vacation transport), filled it with air, I sat on it, popped it and made him cry....don't remember anything about falls or water. Funny what the mind remembers. But this time was fabulous..the falls are really gorgeous...we didn't take the boat ride, but it is highly recommended by others. If you can, go during the day in the bright sunshine and stay until the evening...we did and were treated to a beautiful view of the illuminated evening falls, with gentle hues of pink.

The only thing I would change for my next trip to Niagara....being there with my husband.

Enjoy!

No comments: