Saturday, June 19, 2010

Moms Prawn and Pasta!

I am currently in Toronto with my little bro and my mummy!!! I have some training for work next week so flew out for the weekend before to hang with Shayne, and my mom who happens to be visiting at the same time...yay! I arrived in the evening, greeted with smiles and hugs and a stomach wrenching drive to Shaynes apartment....I guess you have to be an aggressive driver in Toronto...but BARF! Mom and I yelled at him the whole way home.

I arrived at the condo, downtown TO, to a glass of vino waiting and was lucky enough to have mom cook for us....such a treat to have someone else do the cooking (although I am certain she was wishing for the same!). Mom has been here for the past week cooking and cleaning for her beloved bachelor son. Every time you visit Shayne, his fridge is filled with the same essentials. Juice, Beer, Soda Pop, Condiments that expired in 2008 and butter for popcorn (of COURSE...a family favorite!). So poor mom has been spoiling him with homemade soups, burritos, pork chops and love. What a great gal.

The night I arrived mom had decided on angel hair pasta with prawns and sauteed spinach....awesome. Truthfully I have never made angel hair pasta, and I didn't realize it only took about 2-3 mins to cook....great option for a quick side dish in a pinch. She sauteed some jumbo prawns up in garlic and a little sweet Thai chili sauce, then threw in a whole bunch of spinach (use lots because this stuff shrinks up like a willy on a cold day). She drained the pasta (be SURE to remove from the pot after 3mins max as it WILL get waterlogged and soggy), dumped the beautiful, fine and silky noodles into the shrimp/spinach/garlic, gave it a good toss, popped it on the plate with a sprinkle of parsley and Parmesan and how delicious is THAT! She also had some blanched asparagus on the side and corn on the cob....how lucky am I!

Please go give your family members a hug and a kiss if you are close by, and feel grateful that they are.

Enjoy

No comments: