Monday, July 26, 2010

Days 10 and 11

My goodness this summer is just whipping by! We had such a fantastic weekend filled with lots of friends, food and laughter! Saturday evening we had dinner at friends house and, it was our first time going over there, so I certainly did not want to make fuss about my food restrictions...because heck, we want to be invited back!!!

The dinner was fantastic!!!! We started with chocolate and raspberry martinis, with a platter of deliciously plump fresh fig halves, prosciutto, Parmesan shavings and fresh thyme, drizzled with a balsamic reduction. Such a fresh and simple appie...I can't wait to make this at home. Salad course to follow (and more martinis) which was very inventive and super awesome...watermelon wedges, on top of a bed of lemony arugula, with olive tapanade, and dotted with chevre. The main course was flank steak topped with a salad of roasted garlic and heirloom tomatoes. Fresh green beans (tis the season!) and rosemary new potatoes were perfect sides...OMG we were so spoiled! We enjoyed some delicious wines throughout the meal, and finished with some sparkling wine to go with the homemade cherry ice cream and gourmet biscotti. Excuse me dietary restrictions, but F-You! This was a meal not to be missed. And truly, it was only the small bit of cheese, and small bit steak that was on my do-not eat list...but I'm thrilled we have such wonderful new friends!



Sunday was easy, as I was at home, so made Gluten Free pancakes...Bob's Red Mill makes a fabulous mix...even Ivan liked them. I added a bit of Cinnamon, and simmered some fresh blueberries in pure maple syrup to go on top...delish!!! Lunch was a smoked salmon salad and dinner was fantastic if I do say so myself! we had dinner guests over, so I made bruschetta to start with some gluten free crackers from Safeway called Mary's Organic Crackers which were pretty good. Roasted plum salad, and then for a main, I made bbq ribs for the guests, the best potato salad I've ever had (and made myself) that had almost a "thousand Island dressing" type flavour, and green beans that I had blanched earlier in the day, and then quickly sauteed in butter and salt right before serving. For myself and one of our other guests who is a vegetarian, I made baked portebello mushrooms topped with tomatoes and basil...delish!

Today was another great and easy day, as we had a bunch of left overs which made for some quick and simple meals. We brought dinner down to the beach tonight and gathered with a few friends to eat and watch the sunset.....living in Vancouver is such bliss in the summertime and so easy to simply ENJOY!

1 comment:

helen said...

My sister made us a salad the other day that was to die for. It consisted of:

a salad bowl of watermelon balls
sprinkled with red onion pieces
sprinkled with feta crumbles
sprinkled with just the right amount of finely chopped fresh mint.......totally delicious....no dressing needed!