Saturday, July 10, 2010

Romantic Evening for Two

I really did win the marriage lottery! But as Ivan says...everyone should feel this way about their partner. It was Ivan's turn to plan a "romantic evening" for the two of us (we do this every now and then...have a little "date" night), so he was in charge the planning and everything and I didn't have a clue what was in store....which was extremely exciting!



So I wrapped up work on Friday for a late afternoon delight (you don't get those details your pervs!). I was then instructed to change into comfortable walking shoes and a presentable outfit. So we walked down to the little water taxi by the Museum in Kits and hopped on to take a wee tour to Granville Isl and a few other stops until we hit Yaletown. The water taxi is just adorable and is a must for a romantic outing! We got out and he walked us up to Provance Marinaside, which is a fabulous restaurant...and has been a Vancouver hot spot for many a year. You really can never go wrong with this place, from their fantastic weekend brunch and patio lunches to their wonderful dinners. We arrived quite early and got a nice seat on the patio overlooking the harbour. I wasn't overly hungry (crazy - I KNOW), but I had a late lunch, and this is about the most perfect place for a lite bite!



They have an antipasto selection to die for...and you can view all of the tasty morsels in the front of the restaurant if you just cant decide. I opted for the cold seafood salad and a trio of smoked fish (skipping over the Olives, Bacon wrapped bocchini, grilled veggies, prawns...I could go on..)...everything was just perfect. Ivan order the Sablefish, which came with fingerling potatoes and ever -s0-slightly steamed veg...the sablefish melted in your mouth...as it should. This is my favorite fish ever...if you haven't tried it, you MUST! They also start you off with a little tapanade and fresh bread which was wonderful. We washed everything down with a couple of martinis, and before you know it..Mr. Ivan paid the bill and left me to finish off my martini while he snuck out....very sneaky...now what???? So I sip away, watch the fabulous yaletown folk (by fabulous, I mean rich old business men, with their store bought plastic, 25 year old wives), and about five minutes later I hear him call my name...from his car!! (remember we had walked and taken the water taxi over)...sneaky bugger had parked his car during the day at our friends place in Yaletown...very fun. So I hopped in and off we drove...over to the UBC Golf Course for a little twilight golf.

I was very surprised...he did have all of my golf gear packed and ready to go....but I didn't feel that it was "romantic"...but did my best to hide my ever-so-slight disappointment....don't get me wrong...I love to golf...but my idea of romance seems to involve some sort of candles, wine, soft music, food etc etc....whacking the ball around and swearing every two minutes, is fun...but not exactly romantic...but we had a GREAT time none the less....this is a fun little city course, and very convenient for us. We got in 9 full holes before dark, and got back in the car...it was just after 10pm at this time and I was exhausted...I get up pretty early to do morning yoga, coupled with a full work day....time for la la land...but NO...Ivan says suck it up you old woman....we are young and its a Friday night, so too bad! So I complain and groan (tired, and now hungry)...but off we went, in the pitch dark of the night...over to the Spanish banks (lovely beach). Parked the car, and wooo baby...here comes the romance (how could I have ever doubted my wonderful husband).

He has everything prepared and sets up our lawn chairs right by the beach, so we could hear the waves...it was cool..so he brought a blankey, soft music a la Ipod - yup...chilled bottle of wine - yup, and SNACKS!!! Soft Camembert, olives, crackers and spicy salami all from the wonderful Greek Market on Broadway called Minerva's which has a great selection of Greek foods (personally I prefer the other Greek market on the other side of Broadway called Parthenon- they have the BEST olives!) but who cares...tonight everything was so well planned...he KNEW I would be slightly disappointed with the golf, and planned it that way so the romantic surprise at the end would be over the top!!!! So we sipped and ate and talked and just had a wonderful evening....my gosh I hope every woman out there is as fortunate as I...and I hope that you all Enjoy !

No comments: