Sunday, February 27, 2011

Banana Leaf Vancouver

What a lovely weekend thus far! Blustery and snowy...the weather has carried on over from the island to Vancouver. I was so tired when I got back home from my business trip, but pleasantly thrilled to arrive into a spotless home, a full fridge and fruit basket and dinner about to be prepared by my amazing husband. I am such a lucky gal. I laid on the couch in my work clothes, like a slug and watched my hubby prepare a wonderful salad and pasta using a jar of my homemade tomato basil pasta sauce, but jazzed it up by adding mushrooms, peppers and bacon. MMMMM bacon.....I really wish it was a health food, because it just makes everything taste so dang good! We had a wonderful little evening, and watched the classic Napoleon Dynamite which is always good for a giggle.

Friday rolled around quickly, and we both had busy work days, but were happy to be done with that so we could enjoy our evening. Fridays is kind of our "date night" we usually do movie and make a pizza together...or order in Chinese or something easy and fun. But Ivan suggested we go out! What a treat, as we are trying to save up our bucks after blowing much of them on our South American adventure. But he was in the mood to take me out and I am so happy he did!

We walked down the street to Banana Leaf which is Malaysian food and has been in Vancouver for a long time with three different locations. We haven't been in ages as we weren't that impressed last time we went, but this time renewed our faith in this charming neighbourhood resto. It always smells amazing when you walk in, and we were seated quickly in a cozy back corner table. I ordered the roti (just get 1 order per two or four people as its lots) and we hungrily ate these tender little crepe like pillows drenched in their amazing curry sauce. What a way to start the meal. We also ordered the sweet and sour pork chop, the mixed veg with shallot and garlic and the Seafood Char Kuey Teow, a delicious smoky rice noodle dish. A small side of steamed rice and what a feast. Everything was amazing...I thought we ordered too much, but we only had a small package to take home at the end of the night.

Banana Leaf is also amazing for a quick and flavourful lunch, but if you are going at prime dining times then do make a reso. The prices are super reasonable and the ambiance is exotic, dimly lit and a great place to eat great food and simply enjoy!

No comments: