Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Wonton in Victoria

Wow, I think this is the loooongest I have gone without writing in my blog. I feel like I have had "writers" block...or bloggers block...a lack of inspiration I guess. I haven't been cooking all that much and we haven't been eating out...with a huge focus on both of our jobs, we have been eating a lot of frozen pizza and salads....and a lot of couch surfing in the evenings....which normally is not like us. Perhaps we are in a rut of sorts...not sure.

Nothing like getting out of a rut than having to go on a business trip alone to Victoria! The sun was shining today when I boarded the ferry...and if you can believe it, they now have wireless internet access which is crazy awesome. That said, it didn't work very well and disconnected a few times...but I did get a bit of work done.

I dined with clients at a fantastic little place in Langford called Basilico . I only had a spinach salad and tomato basil soup, but both were absolutely delish. The menu is carefully thought out, and doesn't offer too much or too little and everything is made with attention and wonderful ingredients. It's probably the nicest place in that neck of the woods as everything else around there is mostly a big stupid chain restaurant.

But the real inspiration came at dinner time. I usually go to my fav place called Rebar which I have written about numerous times, but for the past week I have been CRAVING wonton soup! Probably cause my folks were here recently and my dad loves wonton so much he got me craving it. I LOVE wonton soup...but it has to be a good one. I tried the one at Cactus club last week and was mildly impressed (not surprised)....flavourful...but not the right flavours for a wonton soup...the wontons themselves lacked personality...but I did like the extra rice noodles. Anyway, I googled "the best wonton soup in Victoria" and time after time a place called J and J Wonton Noodle House popped up. It had some rave reviews and I will add mine to the list! I ordered the large (family size....I was hungry okay!) Wor Wonton soup which they seem to be famous for and I was completely thrilled. It was one of the best I have ever had. Brimming with bright green broccoli and snowpeas, cabbage and mushrooms it even looked beautiful. There was a lovely combination of meat and seafood, but the wontons themselves were the star of the show...two different kinds....prawn wontons and pork wontons in a delicate wrapper and filled with flavour. I polished off the entire bowl and may go back again before I leave. When next in Victoria, pop into this little hole in the wall and enjoy!

No comments: