Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Be My Valentine

So my husband has never celebrated Valentines day...he says it is against his religion. I was totally okay with that...although a little sad, because I had never had a date on Valentines day before...and now that I have a permanent date its kind of a waste. That said, I have always felt the holiday is a bit silly...as Ivan always says, why do I need one day of the year to show you how much I love you, when I can do it all of the time....and he is right....yet........somehow, each year it rolls around, I feel like I want to celebrate.

Before we got married, I asked him if we could celebrate with take out food and action flicks...so we did just that...cozied up and watched First Blood and Predator while sipping wine and eating food. He enjoyed it just as much as I.

Then two years ago I really wanted to go out on a formal date on V-Day...as I mentioned, I had never been taken out before on this occasion, so Ivan gave in and booked a table at the swanky restaurant Coast. We got all dressed up...went for Martinis first and then to dinner, but something seemed odd with the world. It was a eery, creepy type feeling, and I realized it was because everywhere we looked there were couples...it reminded me of that twisted movie the Stepford Wives...it was mechanical and awkward because most of the folks must have been on first dates...you could just tell. I hated the vibe, and vowed never to go out to a restaurant again on February 14th ( I am pretty sure Ivan was just fine with that).

So this year, I again wanted to celebrate....I love celebrating anything...so why the heck not! I know its a silly occasion, I know its commercialized and makes men feel like they have to go buy jewelry or sexy lingerie...but I like it because it is simply another occasion to do something other than the norm.

So I sent Ivan a Valentines Day card in the mail, and invited him to our home for dinner...pretending it was like a real date. I fussed only a little making him his favorite meal of Chicken Paprika with dumplings (his mom's recipe), soft music, candles, cocktails and I bought some cupcakes for dessert. He arrived at 7pm sharp...dressed to impress, with 4 more cupcakes in hand (great minds think alike)!

We lingered over olives, and devoured our main course, then plopped on the couch with our yummy cupcakes to watch a very cute/funny/sad movie called P.S. I love you (I had rented it that day...yes it was a chick flick...but I did make him his fave dinner!). The night was cozy and wonderful and I am pretty sure we both had a great time.

So ladies, if your man is not interested in celebrating this silly occasion...take matters into your own hands and spoil him a little....soon it may become a date that you will both look forward to and Enjoy!

No comments: