Saturday, February 12, 2011

Osso Buco Milanese

I am so impressed with myself....so impressed in fact that I would marry myself for the dinner I made last night!

It was my dads birthday and he and mom came in to town to celebrate, so I wanted to make him one of his favorite dinners Osso Buco Milanese. It seemed like a bit of a daunting task, because I have never made veal before, but I really wanted to surprise him with a special dinner. I searched through a bunch of different recipes and settled on a version by Tyler Florence . All I can say ...it was a big hit!!!

The recipe was quite easy actually....and put my beautiful Le Creuset to good use. The ingredients were simple and minimal,...don't skip out on the Gremolata...it added a bright and fresh taste. The awesome butchers at Market Meats on West 4th showed me that I had to keep the small end of the bone facing up while the meat was braising so the marrow did not slide out. The large side of the bone is sealed, but the smaller end is open.

I even made the Saffron Risotto recipe that Tyler suggests to serve alongside, and it was also beautiful. Cesar salad with home made dressing was a perfect balance for an absolutely delicious and impressive winter meal. You MUST try this recipe. Dad loved it..and said that normally when he has Osso Buco it is made with a richer sauce...he believes with Port....so next time I may try another recipe just to compare for fun, but this one is definitely a keeper....so give it a try for a special guest...you really can't mess it up, and Enjoy!

No comments: