Monday, February 7, 2011

Israeli Couscous

Have you ever tried Israeli couscous? It is wonderful. I had only ever tried it once, at this really fancy schmancy restaurant in Calgary...many years ago and loved it. But I never saw it again...not served at a restaurant...not in the grocery store, so I completely forgot about it. Then about a month ago I was shopping at Bosa foods and saw a package! I threw it into my cart instantly.

Israeli couscous is very different than normal couscous in that it is much larger..and "meatier"...like little firm, yet tender beads of yum. I had no idea how to prepare it, and of course, there were no instructions on the bag...so I googled away.

It was really easy..and versatile, I think you could put it with any kind of meat, or sauce and it would stand up well. It takes longer to cook because the grains are much larger...its like couscous on steroids. So I sauteed up some onions in butter, salt and pep and then toasted up the couscous. I then added some chicken broth (1 cup couscous to 2 cups broth), threw in a bay leaf, boiled and then simmered for about 15mins, until all of the water was absorbed.

It was nice and almost creamy like when it finished. I mixed it in with the Tuscan beans, sage, garlic and tomatoes I had left over from the night before, topped with a little cheese (Parmesan would be the best) and an awesome dinner made on the quick!

Definitely pick up a package at a specialty store, and give it a try, I hope you enjoy!

No comments: