Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Groovin with the Oldies

How charming and wonderful are community dances! Last weekend Ivan and I were invited to a Valentines Dance at the Scandinavian community center. It was the Danish Brotherhood’s annual function and one of Ivan’s good buddies is a member. We had a vague idea of what to expect, but were really pleasantly delighted.
We were greeted by a group of elderly folks who were just tickled to be there…the ladies were all dressed up in their silver pumps and pantyhose…skirts and dresses, pearls and lipstick. The men were all in suits or dress pants with suspenders, lookin their very finest.
We sat at a big round table, that I called the “kids” table, since there were only about 10 of us under 65! We listened to a few speeches and the boys did a bunch of shots with some sort of Danish moonshine….they were so proud and apparently do this every month during their meetings….no girls allowed!
We enjoyed the big buffet of home cooked Danish specialties….pickled herring on rye with lard (I skipped that dish…but Ivan LOVED it). There was roast beef, potatoes and veggies, salmon and on and on…The dessert was amazing…a tender apple tart with lemony crème fraiche. Everything was wonderful and so nice that all the mamas did the cooking.
After dinner, the band started up and my goodness it was wonderful. They played all of the old stuff that I love…swing, jive, Elvis, Neil Diamond, many polka songs and the dance floor was full all night. I couldn't stop staring at all of the couples twirling around…some folks in their 80s smiling and dancing away. The men looking so very dapper and proud to lead their ladies to the dance floor….I felt almost bittersweet. I have always believed that I was born in the wrong era….put me in a Marilyn dress or a poodle skirt any day and I would be in my glory. Everything seemed so innocent back then, and watching these folks glide across the dance floor certainly confirmed my beliefs. There was no music with swears, or anger, no dance moves that make people look like slow apes, or sexual maniacs….the most risqué was the Elvis pelvis. It actually makes me a bit sad to see and hear what “music” is today. Of course I am not saying it is all bad…there are a few good artists out there for certain.
Ivan indulged me and danced a few songs, as did his friend Mike….he “asked me to dance”. How wonderful is that! So if you are ever asked to attend a community center function….I say go for it. You may feel completely nostalgic, but there will be a smile on your face and I really think you will Enjoy!

No comments: