Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Petite Restaurant in Calgary

September 3rd was our 1 year wedding anniversary!!! I cannot believe a whole year has past so quickly. I have heard from some people that your first year of marriage is the toughest...and others that the first is the easiest. I am going with the second opinion...although not sure it's the easiest, as I have not yet experienced the next 50 years. But it has been pure bliss....I love my husband more and more each day! I actually love my Grandmother's saying...that every year is perfectly wonderful. She was married to my grandpa for over 50 years and they were just as in love the day he passed away as they were when they met years before.

Either way, we decided to celebrate with a trip to the Banff Springs Hotel. What a magical castle...the rooms are very expensive, but its such a wonderful place. You almost get goose bumps just driving up the entrance..it is so grand. We enjoyed a fantastic night of bubbles and appies in the room, then went down to the piano bar for some of the best pizzas and crab cakes ever, along with one of their signature martinis, then vino....it was a wonderful way to celebrate.

The next night we decided to head to Calgary to visit some of our friends. My girlfriend Stephanie suggested this place called Petite, and it was fabulous!!! Calgary has really stepped up to the plate in terms of dining these days. Granted we don't eat out there often...the locals seem to be very impressed with many of the restaurants there. This place was in the middle of nowhere...reminiscent of New York..where you are walking along some random side street and all of a sudden you stumble upon a bustling little treasure. The room is in fact petite in size....but certainly not in ambiance and flavour!

We were a party of 6, and they were about 5 seconds late seating us, so gave us each a lovely glass of Prosecco (one of my most favorite bevies). We sipped as we gazed at the menu and enjoyed the buzz of the small room. You must make reservations, as this place does not have a lot of tables and seems to be quite popular...and I can see why.

The service was wonderful, and the food just perfect. I started with the seared scallops with crispy prosciutto on greens...they melted in your mouth and were done to perfection. Ivan, and a few others tried out the yorkshire pudding. But it wasn't just ANY yorkshire pudding...it was unbelievable, and I was jealous I didn't order it. Picture the base of a fluffy Yorkshire, stuffed with braised short rib, and topped off with a lightly fried duck egg. It was unbelievable and the flavour combination was out of this world!!!

Main course for me was the braised short rib lasagna, which was probably the best I have ever tasted! And Ivan just told the server to bring out whatever the chef wanted to create to impress....(nice work babe) and it was a feast. He can't remember exactly what he had, but he loved every bite. It was a pork dish done two different ways, and I tried a nibble myself which was gorgeous. Others tried the Halibut, and also enjoyed thoroughly.

I would highly recommend this restaurant...it's not inexpensive, but worth the treat....as I KNOW you absolutely will ENJOY!!!!

No comments: