Sunday, September 26, 2010

I Survived

Well, after my last entry, I am sure you have all been eagerly waiting to see if I survived the haunted Empress Hotel...well, yes I did. But I did NOT have very good sleeps let me tell you...listening for every creek, waiting for the curtains to blow and the windows to open and shut.....but nothing of the sort, THANK GOD.

My husband joined me the second evening, and we did get a chance to chat with a few of the staff members and found out that indeed it is the sixth floor that is "known" to be haunted...AND -get this- one of the rooms on the sixth floor they wont ever rent out to people!!!!! She wouldn't tell us what room (as the staff is not supposed to talk too much of such things, so not to scare folks away) but I am sufficiently scared away.....discount or not....I wont be staying there again alone...and NEVER on the sixth floor. It reminded me of this Stephen King movie with John Cusack that I STUPIDLY watched called 1408, where he is stuck in a haunted hotel room and gets tortured by odd/creepy/scary things...it was very scary to watch and now that's all I can think about when staying in hotels. Don't watch this movie if you travel a lot!

I had a golf tournament the next day for work at Highland Pacific, it was an absolutely gorgeous course...although we only played 9 holes, it was stunning.

The next day Ivan and I slept in a little, then went to the Blue Fox Cafe (sorry no website, but its at 919 Fort st.) for brunch. This is one of THE best brunch places I have ever eaten at. The portions are ginormous, but the food is top notch quality. I am trying to avoid gluten and wheat at the moment, so I opted for the steel cut oats with baked banana, roasted pecans and maple syrup...and OMG, this was the best oatmeal I have ever tasted. It also came with a side of toast....they had a gluten/wheat free option accompanied by house made jam..yum!!!!

Ivan had a half order of the eggs benny with chorizo, and avocado...DO NOT order a full order if you are a normal person....they are huge. I have tried this before, and although very rich...is also delicious. All of their breads and jams, and granolas are house made with the best ingredients....be warned...on weekends if you aren't there early, you WILL have to wait in line for a 30minutes...but its totally worth it as I know you will most certainly ENJOY!

No comments: