Monday, September 20, 2010

Organic Lives Restaurant

I have recently been feeling the need for community and connection...being a part of something. It's a little more difficult to find such things as an adult, than it was when you were a kid. When I was young, I was involved in almost every single sport the school had to offer, and many other peer groups....I have always loved being a part of a group and feeling like one of the team.

So, working from home most of the time, doesn't really fulfill that need for me. I enjoy routine....my husband makes fun of me every time I say "I am going to start doing this every Monday night" or "every second Tuesday I am going to...." perhaps he makes fun of me, because I don't actually do it...not sure really.

But I love that Tuesdays and Thursday mornings there is a 6:30am yoga class....and I go, every chance I get. I used to love Sunday Family dinners...and I miss them dearly being so far away from my family. There is something comforting about routine to me...knowing, anticipating, committing...it just feels good. And it's a great way to begin a good habit. No one would ever get better at their craft or sport if they didn't have the discipline to practice every week, or every morning....so I am in search of a weekly community activity.

Tonight I went to this little weekly community event called One of a Kind Stories, which is held every Monday night at a wee restaurant called Organic Lives on Quebec St. It was a nice evening, whereby they have someone playing live music for the first 30 mins, and then introduce a speaker...who isn't famous, who hasn't found the cure for cancer, who is just a normal person living a normal life in the community. The creator of this weekly event is called Brock Tully and he is quite a wonderful human....you can't help but smile at his white hair and huge mustache...he always has a twinkle in his eye. He also hosts the World Kindness Concert every November, which I have gone to before and it is a lovely uplifting event to bring you into the Christmas Holiday spirit.

He believes that "community is created by sharing our stories from our heart." And that is exactly what this woman spoke about...her story, from her heart. Makes you realize that we truly are all on the same ride.

The restaurant was a delight! All raw, organic foods prepared fresh and lovingly. I didn't realize this when I ordered, as I advised that I am taking a break from gluten, wheat and dairy...the lady at the front said..oh good, because we don't have any of that in our foods! Perfect! They had a list of smoothies and juices which looked delicious, as did the dinner menu. I opted for the Spaghetti Primivera....she said it was gluten free...and it was! The plate that was placed in front of me, didn't look all that appealing, when I realized the food was not cooked and the "spaghetti" was actually long strands of zucchini....but one bite and I was shocked. It was delicious! The fresh tomato and basil sauce had more flavour than I think I have ever had! I only wish it had been a bit bigger. The portion sizes are a little small...however, if you pair it with a shake or a juice, it would be perfect! The lasagna and sushi looked awesome and I look forward to going back to try them out. Imagine...lasagna with no pasta or cheese.....sushi with no rice...my goodness, you should try this place out. The prices are fair..as the atmosphere is lacking...so think more of grabbing a bite and bringing along your favorite book.

While I did enjoy the One of a Kind Stories Series this evening...I don't think it will be my Monday evening ritual, but I am happy I went and I look forward to trying other things within my community to see what I really Enjoy!

No comments: