Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Lend a Helping Hand

In the past week I have discovered a few opportunities to help another person in need. I have to say, it almost feels selfish helping, because I know I will feel so good after I do it. Sure I help people every day in my job, and in my volunteer position, but it doesn't feel like I am helping people who are REALLY in need.

Last week, as I was approaching Safeway, I noticed a large woman with sunglasses and spiky blond hair standing outside the door. I assumed she was looking for handouts as each person passed her by...but as I got closer, I heard this very small voice ask if I could buy her some jam. JAM?? I exclaimed...you want some Jam? Yes, please she replies...can I come in and pick out the one I like? Yes, of course you can...I would love to buy you some jam. I was almost delighted at the surprise request. And I certainly do not mind buying less fortunate people food...I don't give cash...but I am a sucker for buying food....I love the stuff so much and really feel like it shouldn't be a privilege to eat.

Anyway, we entered the store, and I offered to buy her some fresh fruits and veggies as well...she politely declined and walked straight to the jam isle and picked out her favorite kind...Smuckers, Strawberry jam. She said it would be enough to get her through the week eating pancakes...she hates em plain and needs her strawberry jam....I couldn't hide my smile...I was so happy to help complete her meal (although I was disappointed she didn't take me up on some veggies). I paid and then bought her a coffee because she looked cold...she was so thankful, and my heart grew two sizes.

Then today I was again walking to buy some groceries at the little market and I passed this big ol black man...the same one who stands outside in front of Shoppers Drug Mart every day, trying to sell calenders and magazines and such. He had asked a couple of girls if they could watch his wears briefly because he had to go to the washroom...they quickly said no and walked away...so I stopped in my tracks, walked back and said I would watch his stuff. He was so grateful....said nature was a callin and he had to go to the little boys room. I proudly watched over the box he sat on, and his 6 calenders and magazines. He came back promptly and was so happy that I could help him out...he offered me either a free magazine or his orange juice....I wanted to cry....I said no thank you and I didn't need anything...but he popped a magazine in my bag and sent me on my way....my heart grew again.

It is amazing how many opportunities are around us to help out our fellow brothers and sisters every day. You must be alert to them, and open to making a small difference. Holding a door open...saying hello to a stranger...or simply a smile. I wish I could help the whole world with all of its problems...but instead, I do my best, in little ways...one jar of strawberry jam at a time.

Life is good...enjoy!

No comments: