Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Days 28-33 - Friendship

My gosh, so many wonderful things have happened over the past few days. Too much to tell in just one entry, that's for sure.

So I will just write about our weekend. We were fortunate enough to go to the Shuswap and spend the weekend at a gorgeous cabin right on the lake. My dad plays Sr. baseball, and he and mom have a whole schwak of fabulous baseball friends. Darlene and Wayne moved to BC quite a while ago, and spend many months at their cabin. A few years ago we went to meet up with the ball team, and had so much fun we decided to do it again this year. Again...it was wonderful.

Now you may wonder....aren't your folks and their friends a bit older? And the answer is YES....in their 60's actually, as are most of their friends, and they are FABULOUS! It's interesting that Ivan and I really gravitate to more "mature" folks. I am not sure why...perhaps its because they don't have kids, they are settled and happy in their relationships, most are retired so have ample free time and are always up for a party! Who wouldn't want to hang out with them...hahaha.

It's interesting making friends as you get older. The one's you grew up with seem so far away...scattered all over the world. And it takes many years to create new lasting friendships where you feel like someone really and truly "knows" you. Don't get me wrong...I have made many wonderful friends over the 8 years I have lived in BC, but sometimes you just miss that "truly knowing" you...to the bottom of your core type thing. My wonderful husband sweetly says that he is my best friend...and yes, he truly truly is, as are my Mom and Dad and Shayne. But I also miss the group of women I grew up with, more often as I get older. I recently missed an opportunity to be together with all of them in Calgary...all at once...which is a rarity since we all live in different parts of the world. I am sad that I missed out on that...because one of those lovely ladies announced her pregnancy...and I missed that moment.

It's difficult cultivating that same "network" of women when you move to another city. I tried and tried to bring a group of girls together for a monthly "girls night", but it never really stuck...you can't just force something like this, it has to happen organically. Just because I have made buddies with you, doesn't mean that you will all automatically like each other.

I haven't been the best of friends to the Fab 5 (nicknamed by LB's dad). We have been friends for over 15 years, and since I moved to Vancouver I needed to evolve..change...grow into myself, and they all graciously understood, some didn't like it so much...but it was my path...my way....no regrets. That said...moving forward...I am making a vow to myself to keep in touch more often with these amazing ladies, let them know how much I love and miss them and want to know and be a part of their lives. And my dear friend Whhhhillian...who I have known for over 25 years, we speak the same language girl....whatever effed up language that is....I love it.

Cultivate the new and nurture the old....friendship is not to be taken for granted, and I am learning that lesson as I go....so I hope you call a good friend this week, just to say hello...and Enjoy!

Oh yeh...PS....cleanse is still going amazingly well....but I think I am going to go take that damn blood test just to get it over with....I am craving pizza!




No comments: