Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Day 27-Creating a Relationship with Food

Still feeling mighty awesome these days! Which is a good thing too, because life just gets so busy sometimes. Which reminds me of something my naturopath has taught me. And that is to build breaks into your day. Actually book 10min breaks into your schedule every few hours so you can de-clutter your brain.

I am constantly on the go in my line of work, answering calls/emails, creating marketing splashes, and sell sell sell (I'm in sales-can you tell). So sometimes I feel like my head is spinning and I end up completely exhausted by the end of the day. So Sonya has taught me two valuable lessons.

1. To build in breaks every day. Spend 10 minutes going for a quick walk, lying down, reading something pleasurable...really anything that will make my mind happy.

2. To create a relationship with food.

Now #2 sounded a bit odd to me as I thought I already had a relationship with food....I'm in love with it...what more do you want? But, as I discovered, this is a different type of relationship....one that involves nudity.....okay okay, just kidding! Here is a better explanation, many times Ivan and I will make a dinner and pop ourselves in front of a movie...and I used to make a quick lunch for myself and eat while watching the food network....or shovel while eating at my desk and answering emails.

My philosophy (was)...if I didn't put the effort into making a "Grand" meal and just made a salad, or soup or a wrap or something easy, then it was okay to eat in front of the T.V. Only when I made a big meal, that I spent precious time on, would I insist we eat at the table.

As Sonya listened to my eating habits, she said something very interesting. She said that I need to create a better relationship with my food, and learn to honor every bite I eat. Mindless eating can apparently lead to digestion issues, and weight gain. She mentioned that I could be eating the healthiest of all health foods, but if I am "shoveling" or mindlessly eating in front of the T.V. the food will not assimilate in my body properly. This makes total sense to me. She also drew a comparison to the Eastern philosophy of food being truly celebrated, and lingered over.

Since she had brought this to my attention, I have purposefully eaten each meal at the table, focused on chewing properly and savoring each bite....why rush a good thing when you can take the much deserved time to sit back and Enjoy!

No comments: