Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Day 19- Healthful Living

So I think my new favorite breakfast, besides smoothies, are rice cakes smothered in Almond Hazelnut butter...Aryn introduced me to this delectable combo while camping...and it is like music in your mouth...dollop a little honey on top and you can't help but smile. You can purchase such an item at a ridiculously expensive price (but well worth it) at Capers/Wholefoods, Choices or Meinhardt's.



I must say, we are so lucky to be living in BC. Not only do we get to enjoy the beautiful Ocean and Mountains, lovely beaches and warm weather...but we get the privilege of enjoying some of the best foods in Canada! We have so many Organic stores in BC, who focus on local produce, and items for healthful living. In a pinch I know I can grab a quick quinoa, or Asian broccoli, or wild rice salad in the deli section. Their meats and seafood are the best of the best, their cheese section... mouthwatering..and if my latest recipe is calling for champagne vinegar, or truffle oil...I can find these items with ease. Celiacs delight in these stores...they often have entire sections devoted to you...brown rice noodles, breads and baking made with rice flour, kamut or spelt...the options are plenty.



I feel so fortunate, because I know I have tried to find such items when visiting Calgary or Toronto..or god forbid somewhere in between...but Organic Healthful shopping is not quite as easy in other areas of the world....you have to search for them...drive long distances...embark upon a quest....okay, perhaps I am exaggerating...but my mom just informed me that the only healthful store close by her called Planet Organic recently went bankrupt...how unfortunate.



All I can say, is that today I am feeling very fortunate to live in a city that promotes a healthful and joyous living.



Enjoy

No comments: