Thursday, August 5, 2010

Day-21 Hummus

You must make hummus....its such an easy, delicious and healthy snack to keep in your fridge. It's economical to make...AND even more so since I finally started buying dried chickpeas. The tinned ones are fairly loaded with salt and some with preservatives and can be pricey if you buy organic. But I started buying the dried version (tip from my naturopath)...pop into a pot and cover with water and let soak overnight..then in the morning I throw them in my crockpot with some broth or water, set on low and leave for the day.....so yummy on salads, curries, and creamy hummus. Don't buy it from the store....there are a million recipes online, and its a snap to whip up to smother on your rice cakes (if you are doing gluten free like moi) or dip your veggies in (my faves are sugar snap peas and carrots)..spread on a nice grainy bread and top with avocado and sprouts, stuff into pita with grilled chicken...the uses are endless and it will last about a week in the fridge. The flavours get more intense by day....I added a bit more cayenne to mine tonight, so its nice and spicy! You can add sun dried tomatoes to give it a different spin..or roasted red peppers... olives...just have fun with it and Enjoy!

No comments: