Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Thank You Mom


Growing up, I don't remember doing anything outstanding for Mother's Day. My brother and I probably made mom some sort of silly crafts or drawing when we were in school....but we didn't try to make pancakes or breakfast in bed...and in hindsight I think that is most likely because our dad didn't promote that kind of behavior. He doesn't know how to cook and gets lost in the fridge if something isn't "right in front of your nose" as mom would always say. So what I do remember is dad taking us all out for a mothers day brunch...often times to a nice hotel where they had a huge buffet (definitely more my dad's style of celebration)...I think my mom enjoyed it.

Now as an adult, if my mom and I are in the same city on mothers day, I always like to take her for a manicure or pedicure, or lunch or something of the sort that we can do together.  If we are not in the same city then I do my best to send a little treat in the mail....a phone call goes without question.

I really do think it is up to the father to instill the importance of honoring your mom on mother's day.  Of course children have no idea that mothers day comes every year in May, to them its just another day...and if not encouraged to take pause and celebrate the occasion, it would certainly be "just another day."  I am glad our father took mom out every year as a Thank You....it did instill a certain appreciation in us kids.

That said, as a new mom...who is already overwhelmed by all of the new duties and chores and stuff to do, I think my mom deserved to be taken out for brunch every week!  My son is only 7 months old, so yes there is a lot of laundry, pureeing of baby foods, diaper changes, tidying, breastfeeding ..and the list goes on.  But I have only been doing this for 7 months.  To even begin to think about all of the amazing things that our mom did for us over the past 34 years (and is still doing today) is mind numbing.  How in the world did you have time to work every day, yet pack us an amazingly wonderful lunch (enviable by any kid around) and every day in that lunch bag would be a napkin with a special note...just for me.  "Good afternoon Sunshine"...with a drawing of a smiling sun...."I love you" with hearts...." Have a wonderful day".  Everyday it was something new and exciting...and it was a message just for me and it always always made me smile.  And where did you find the time to be home from work when we came home from school so you could make us a snack...that fridge and freezer were always full to the brim with delicious foods....I don't ever remember seeing an empty fridge.  And where on earth, after doing all of the laundry, ironing, cleaning, sewing of buttons and helping with homework did you find the time to make us all a wonderful, and well balanced home made dinner every single night???!!! 

You made it to all of my sporting events and later on when I fell in love with every other boy I met, you knew not to patronize me or call it puppy love...you listened and you felt sad when I had a heartache.  you made it seem okay and not weird or uncomfortable when I needed my first training bra and had my first period...you always knew just the right thing to say or do.  And when you found my cigarettes and vodka bottles that I thought I had so cleverly hid...you didn't ground me or punish me...you just talked to me about it.  The disappointment in your voice didn't go unnoticed.   When I wanted to go out partying or to the bar, you always said to call no matter what time..no matter where I was...just to let her know I was okay....and if I wasn't, you would always come and pick me up...with no judgement, no scolding...just a safe and warm ride home.

When your grandson was born, you came out to cook and clean and take care of us all for a month.  You never judged the decisions I made with my new son...just encouraged and supported me....and for all of these things and a million more, I salute you mama and I Thank You from the bottom of my heart.  I can only hope that I can be as great a mother to my son as you are to me.

I love you

Enjoy.



No comments: