Saturday, May 12, 2012

Tea and Muffin with my Son

Ivan and I used to go for a tea and muffin and a game of cards every weekend to one of our favorite cafes...this of course, was before we had a baby.  It was one of my most favorite things to do with my hubby and I looked forward to it all week long. A chance to just be together and relax and catch up while nibbling on a scrumptious muffin and sipping tea.  The scrumptious muffin part is important, cause I ain't eatn no shitty commercially made muffin.  I want it made fresh, with beautiful ingredients and its gotta be that perfect texture.  For me that is a Capers/Whole Foods or Aphrodites muffin if we are in Kits.  I regress....the muffin caught me up. 

Anyway, the point of my story is, since we had our little baby, this weekend tradition has sadly been put on hold.  Dutch generally has two naps in the morning without enough time in between to get out for a tea and muffin.  But this morning he woke up really early from his first nap and I was dying to have a muffin for breaky....unfortunately Ivan was out working this morning, so I speedily put Dutch in his stroller, and off we power walked to Aphrodites...the sun was out and it was a gorgeous morning....I was so excited to sit in the cafe..chat with our favorite server, read a fluffy magazine, sip tea, slather my fresh muffin in butter and just enjoy.  REALLY Heather....I mean REALLY....is that what you actually thought would happen...here's how it really went:

9:00am-Arrive at muffin shop-try to get stroller through door...bang door numerous times until it fits through
9:02am-There is a line up with one gal behind the counter...and not my favorite gal.  I quickly park the stroller to claim the last open table..Dutch starts to wimper.
9:08am-Finally I am served...I choose the rasberry chai muffin, ask for butter and a green tea. I am stoked...I gather up a bunch of reading materials and plop myself down at the table.
9:12-Girl brings muffin and tea...grabs a cube of butter out the of FREEZER and plops it on my plate and rushes off to serve the others.
9:15- I attempt to melt the butter by placing the dish over my steaming tea
9:16-Dutch is squirming..he wants out of the stroller- I pick him up and try to knife some butter..still frozen..it goes flying off my plate.
9:17-shove butterless muffin in mouth..Dutch pulls my hair and starts to fuss again.
9:20-We leave

Ah well...we wont be doing that again any time soon...especially without daddy's help.  I am certainly grateful for the many years my husband and I got to enjoy our tea and muffin time...and I look forward to doing it again when our boy is a bit older and can eat his own muffin.

Enjoy.


No comments: