Thursday, May 3, 2012

Artichoke Fun!

The other day I was shopping at Capers/Whole Foods and I saw these big beautiful artichoke globes. They were on sale and so I had to buy a couple.  I remember my mom making these when we were young...but have not had em since.  Yes I have had them out of a jar or can...but fresh and warm...such a different experience.

I first washed and trimmed them up a bit and boiled them in a small amount of water with a garlic clove, lemon slices and a bay leaf...I checked them after 25mins, but they were not yet ready....I gave em another 10mins and then I tugged on one of the leaves towards the center (with tongs) and it came out easily.  I drained them upside down for a few minutes and then served em up on plates for Ivan and I.

They were so fun to eat...something different for sure.  You basically pluck each leaf and then pull them in between your teeth so you scrape off the tender "meat".  I made up a quick lemony mayo (organic mayo, lemon zest, lemon juice and pepper) and we dipped each leaf in the creamy sauce and then ate away.  Ivan said it was kind of like eating popcorn.  I would def serve these as a starter for a dinner party...kind of a conversation piece and super fun to eat.  The best part is when you get to the center (heart) and you scoop out the fuzzy top and enjoy the heart with your fork and knife...its like a little hidden treasure that is so tender and has such a delicate flavor.

These babies are in season now...so try em out and Enjoy!

No comments: