Monday, May 28, 2012

Leaving Baby with a Sitter for the first time!

So last night we left Dutch with a babysitter for the first time!!!!  Other than leaving him with my parents or a few hours with one of my best girlfriends, we have not left our 7 month old son with a babysitter.  But last night was Ivan's birthday and I had thrown him a bit of a surprise party so I had no choice but to hire a sitter.

What a daunting task for a new mommy....it was easy to find a babysitter thank goodness...I think I was very lucky that the new family that just moved in across the hall have a teenage daughter who was anxious to babysit. 

Knowing I would need a babysitter for this particular evening, I had to make sure she was prepared (or maybe I was attempting to prepare myself).  So I asked her to come over so we could have a quick chat about the details....I casually sat her down and then asked her a few simple questions.

So how was your day today??? uh hu...whatever...anyway...

How old are you?
Have you babysat before?
Have you held a baby before?
How old was the baby?
Do you feel comfortable around babies?
Do you take drugs and alcohol?
Do you have sex?
Have you ever kidnapped a baby?

Okay maybe I didn't ask those bottom few....but I damn well wanted to.

The first interview went well...I asked how much she charged, and I felt $7 bucks an hour was a steal considering most of my girlfriends have told me that the going rate is a whopping $15/hr!!!!!  I guess she charged so little because it was her FIRST babysitting job.  I don't think I would have hired her if it weren't for the fact that her mom and dad were right across the hall.

So I had her come over a second time to practice picking up Dutch and putting him in the crib, then taking him out and sitting on the couch with him.  This poor girl must have thought I was a complete nightmare....but whatever...its MY baby and if I want to see how you handle MY BABY then you better just do it.  And so she did...Dutch seemed to like her, so I was feeling pretty good.

I restrained myself from having her come over a third time....so the big night rolled around...she was 2 minutes early (good girl) and I felt sick leaving our little baby with this strange young gal....but alas...I did.

We arrived at the party at 7:30...I quickly busied myself greeting guests and making sure the food and bevies were flowing...people were coming up to chat....I slapped on a face of interest..all the while thinking OMG what if this strange family was plotting to move in beside us so they could steal Dutch and fly to another country....they did look a bit shifty last time I saw them in the elevator....yes..Hi..oh thanks for coming to Ivan's party.......uh hu...uh hu...uh hu......Yes, I am sure this family is a bunch of professional baby stealers....so by 8:25 I just had to call.  Ivan told her we would call her on the house phone (good thinking hubby...if I called her on her cell she could be anywhere with Dutch...at the airport...the mall...out at the park drinking with her gang member friends)....ring ring ring ring ring......hello...comes this sweet little innocent voice across the line.  Hey!...I casually say in my "oh I'm such a cool mom" voice...so how's everything going??????  Just fine, she says (liar...are you really at the airport right now...OH wait...I called the house line) Dutch has been sleeping soundly since you left.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhh....and breathe new mama...breathe......okay thanks...that's all I needed to hear.

Champagne here I come!!!!  The evening was lovely and a good time was had by all....we arrived home to a sweet young girl doing her homework on the couch and my snugly little baby safe and warm in his bed. 

So to all you new moms out there...I KNOW you think these thoughts too (because you have told me yourselves)....no worries...we are all in the same boat...we just have to remember to take a moment to breathe and Enjoy!


No comments: