Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Husband Abandonment Syndrome

I am not sure if there are any other women out there feeling the same husband abandonment as I...but it seems to happen every year around this time...you know, when the Stanley Cup play-offs begin.  It's like you become a stranger in your own home...the t.v. is glued to the hockey station almost every night...and when your hubby's team is in the playoffs it's even worse!  It's like he disappears for weeks...months on end.  AND mine likes to watch a lot of the other games too....barf is all I have to say.

Ivan is a Canucks fan....I am a half-assed flames fan...they are the team I feel most closely aligned to (being from Calgary and all) but I really put no effort or emotion into supporting them....I really just don't enjoy fixating on the television to watch anything, let alone sports.  Sure I can appreciate that millions of people are excited about it...but my god...its like they give up life in order to ensure they can see the next game.  We pretty much cannot make any plans to do much of anything if there is a "game" on. 

Now I don't mind going to the live games....where I can people watch and feel the energy of the crowd and sing Oh Canada...now that's fun.  But to sit my ass on the couch for 3hrs every night...forget it!  Ivan was invited to the game tonight which is great...I know how much he will enjoy that...and it gave me a night free of loud, obnoxious sports announcers.

I even tried my best to get into the season last year...but alas, I would sit for 5 minutes and my eyes would glaze over and I got antsy and needed to "do" something.  Is it just me?  I asked my friend Aryn today...but she's a "cool chick" and enjoys watching the games too.

I suppose if there were a big group of people together, with good food and bevies then I would like it (even though I can't drink right now).  I will admit, as I sit here writing I just heard a huge cheer from the window across the street..and it made me smile...I guess their team scored.  Perhaps this is just a way for people to feel good about something??? I dunno...I don't get it.....but whatever makes ya happy I guess.

Now I am off to read a book...for those Canuck fans out there..enjoy!

1 comment:

Aryn said...

I don't watch hockey all year long, I'm not that interested and besides, football is on!!! But when it's playoffs.... and when we've gone this far.... I can't help but watch!! It also helps that we go across the street to a friends where there is not only a bunch of people (love the energy) but between periods we sit on their deck.... a complete view our of beautiful city. Can't really pass that up :o)