Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Hearts of Palm

I had never heard of heart of palm before one of my girlfriends took me to Dallas for a fun vacation, and she ordered a salad with it....said it was her fave.  I thought it was so fresh and yummy tasting.

That was about ohhhhh... 5yrs ago or so.  I have not seen or eaten them since.  So on the weekend I wanted to make a fresh summer salad to go with my bbq jerk chicken and low and behold I found one with hearts of palm!  I cheated and just got the canned version (I have never seen them fresh) and tossed them with kalamata olives, red onion (mellowed out by chillin in a little lemon juice to cut the bite) roma tomatoes, blanched asparagus and fresh basil with a red wine/garlic scented vinegarette....how delish does that sound.  It was awesome! 

Hearts of palm sort of reminded me of jarred artichokes...along those lines...so don't be scared...give em a try and enjoy!

No comments: