Thursday, May 26, 2011

Eat Your Dang Quesadilla (and fake cheese)

That line from Napoleon Dynamite gets used often around these parts...not because I often make them...but because its funny.

That said, in the past few weeks I have been experimenting with Quesadillas using left overs.  I can maybe do leftovers the next day...but day 3 forget it...it must look, feel and taste different for me to find it appetizing.  So last night, I used some of our left over meat from the Monday night Roast chicken dinner we had, popped it in a pan with sauteed onions, blanched asparagus, tender mushrooms and a few canned jalapeno peppers...added some spices...flopped the filling in a rice flour tortilla shells topped with my new favorite cheese substitute called Daiya browned on both sides and super yummy!  Ivan made up a quick salsa of avocado, tomato, diced chillis and mango to top them with and really we were both super impressed.  He didn't even mind the rice wraps and the fake cheese (this is by far the best substitute out there).

I think you can pretty much do these up in about 15mins flat using your leftovers...add a can of black beans...really the sky is the limit, so be creative and enjoy!

No comments: