Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Wishebone

So after dining on our beautiful roast chicken the other night, I kept the wish bone.  I don't know why I did, but something made me set it aside, and a rush of memories came flooding back.  My mom used to always save the wish bone and put it below the windowsill to dry out over night.  Then the next day..or whenever, we would make a wish and bust it apart....the loser with the smaller piece always feeling so ripped off that their wish would no longer come true.

It got me to thinking about wishes and how they evolve over the years and different phases of life.  When we were little, Shayne and I would always roll our eyes when we asked our Dad what he wished for for his birthday or Christmas and his reply was always, and still is the same....oh I don't know...love, health and happiness.  Ohhhhh DAD...come on, we would say...frustrated that he wouldn't tell us something we could "buy" or get for him.

His wish was a far cry from my wishes back then....when I was in elementary school I wished for a puppy (as soon as we got one, I completely ignored it and developed allergies).  I wished that Sean would pass me a note, or wave to me from the school bus window as it passed by.  I wished my mom would let me shave my legs, and I really wished for a canopy bed like our neighbour Dana had.

Once I was into Jr. High, my dreams became more sophisticated....I wished Dave (Clint, Cliff, Ben, Neil...pretty much all the older boys) would pick me up in his hot car and eventually marry me... I wished that Steen would break up with his girlfriend and date me. I wished my parents were cooler and would let me stay out all night with no curfew.  I wished the vodka and cigs I hid in an old pair of socks, inside a bag tucked at the back of my closet were not found by my mother.

High school was not much different...although I now wished for better math grades, and a red Mustang convertible 5.0 GT (instead I got a blue Grand Am wrapped in a big red bow for my 17th birthday and was pissed off).  Ahhhhh the ungrateful mind of a teenage girl.

Yes, I actually thought of all of these things as I put the wishbone aside to dry for the night.  And I thought of what I would wish for...and low and behold, my wishes have changed.  I now find myself wishing for the health of our unborn baby, and the safety and well being for myself, family and loved ones.  If you ask me what I want for my birthday...I most likely will still say a trip somewhere warm, or a new pair of shoes ( I think that is just a women's way)....but if you ask me what I really WISH I had....well love, health and happiness sounds pretty darn good to me!

Enjoy.

No comments: