Saturday, April 9, 2011

Gluten/Dairy Free- Delicious Pizza

Last night we had company over for dinner.  Ivan had invited them over without really checking with moi first and I made a joke that he would be the one to cook then.  And he did bless his heart!  We had a very causal pizza and beer night and it was awesome (well no beer for me)...super relaxed and fun.  Ivan pulled out a couple of our fav thin crust frozen pizzas and he added praws and bacon and a variety of fresh veg and topped it with a spicy provolone cheese I found at Les Amis Du Fromage . 

I, on the other hand have been off dairy, gluten/wheat during pregnancy so I stopped off at Panne Rizo on cornwall. It was my first visit there and wow do they have a nice variety of lovely gluten free baking items....you must try the banana, pecan mini cakes.  I bought two frozen pizza shells (they are small) which I was to thaw out before baking.  I then made a sauce of tomato paste, fresh chopped basil, garlic, oregano, thyme, chili flakes and a splash of olive oil.  I spread on the crusts and topped one with prawns, asparagus and red onion and the other with mushrooms, tomatoes, capers and olives and both of them were AWESOME!!! 

I put the pizzas on a baking tray, but next time I will place directly on the rack because they did get a wee bit soggy in the middle...still good though.  I made a lovely simple baby arugula salad dressed with fresh lemon juice and olive oil, and I piled it high on top of my pizza....I really didn't miss the cheese...and neither did my body...I felt great afterwards, and enjoyed the equally delish leftovers today.

If you have a restricted diet, give this a whirl and I am sure you will Enjoy!

No comments: