Friday, April 8, 2011

Healthy Snack Ideas

Now that I am preggers, I am very conscientious of what I put into my tummy.  Well actually I have been that way for many years....I am a pretty healthful eater, but especially now!  I have heard from numerous people and my naturopath that whatever allergies mom has...if they eat those foods, the children can then adopt those allergies too.  I am lactose intolerant....but I would eat cheese before every now and then...and suffer the bloating and other uncomfortable side effects...so now I am doing my best to avoid dairy and wheat/gluten as I don't want my baby to have to suffer.

So yes, its a bit of a challenge to find foods that work for me...but then again not really.  I am loading up on wild and brown rice, kamut pasta and breads, rice noodles, quinoa, loads of fresh veggies and fruits.  We also eat fish a few times a week, and the odd free range chicken.

Snacking has been a bit more challenging...but again, there are so many awesome healthy snack foods these days....I have found lots of options.  One of my favorites is roasting a variety of nuts with some yummy spices...my latest fave...a mixture of your fave nuts toss with a bit of maple syrup, curry pdr, cyan, rosemary and salt...yum!

I also love snacking on rice cakes smothered in a nut butter (I'm onto cashew these days) topped with sliced apples or pears with a drizzle of honey.

Another is the natural plantain chips I found in my health store

Pickles are another....but not just the usual safeway crap...I went to wholefoods and brought some pickled cucumbers with all natural ingredients and they are AMAZING.

You can also roast a bunch of chickpeas with a little olive oil and spices for a yummy snack

We do indulge in popcorn about once a week with movie night.  Never microwave..we have a really cool popper!

But my newest attempt and favorite snack is (believe it or not) roasted Kale!  I read a recipe while flipping through a mag at my dentists office and so gave it a whirl.  You basically take one bunch of Kale, wash and remove stems and rip into bite size pieces, toss with a bit of olive oil and spice as you like..I just did a bit of sea salt (but next time would try a combo of different seasonings) roast at 350 for 10-15 mins and they are like chips!!!!  Ivan loved them too!! I can see this becoming a regular household snackie for us..and how healthy is that!

Healthy can be quick and easy...so munch away and Enjoy!

No comments: