Sunday, January 16, 2011

A Hair Slut- Possibly Reformed?

I am a hair stylist slut. No two ways about it...the longest I have ever been loyal to a stylist is approx 2.5 years, and then I get fed up and try someone else. I have probably had 100 stylists over my lifetime.

My main criteria for a stylist....must be within walking distance (really high standards eh)...and I prefer them to be nice looking (I know, what a bitch...but its true), know when to gab and when you are washing my hair, when to shut up.

Here is how the typical scenario goes. I have a stylist I have seen for maybe 1 or 2 cuts..the first cut will determine if I will come back or not...if you get me a second time, you should be thrilled. Often, the same typical thing happens...the first cut rocks...I go back and do something more drastic, but cannot recreate it at home...uggg...thats what happened with my last bob...stupid fucken bobs....I hate bobs, and I never want to have one again. If I ever go really short again, I want my hair like Lisa Rinna, not the stupid bob...which is actually much more high maintenance than it first appears.

I regress...so I have been seeing this stylist for about 2 years now, and I think he is okay...but he meets my first criteria of being within walking distance, as his salon is on the same block...he is nice looking...but talks to me at the wrong times....but alas...he is close by.

My husband, on the other hand has had the same hair stylist for probably 10 years...and he drives all the way down to commercial drive to see her. I was feeling crazy the other day...and in desperate need of a hair cut after our trip, so I told him to book me in with his gal Lori.

The appointment was yesterday....and it was dark and pouring rain as my appointment time approached....I HATE driving in the rain....in fact, I hate driving anywhere unless it directly involves me making $$ or there is good food involved....other than that...forget it...I walk, someone else drives or I just don't go. So I begged Ivan to drive...I even tempted him with a visit to Bosa foods (an Italian grocery store) afterwards...for some reason that didn't seem to work....but it worked for me....that was my motivation to go to this stupid effing appointment all the way down to stupid commercial drive.....I would go to Bosa foods after...okay...good incentive.

I angrily grabbed my keys and said to Ivan "she better suck, because there is no way I am going to drive all the effing way out there for my hair cuts" ..he replied "I am sure she will dear".

I drive down to commercial in the pouring rain and FINALLY after an exhausting 20 minutes, disgusted by my surroundings...I arrive. I have to park 2 blocks away and walk in the pouring rain...AND commercial is my least favorite area of Vancouver...its dotted with crack houses (yes they may cost $1mm but only stupid retard Vancouverites would pay such a price), scary people with tattoos and cigarettes walk along the streets...and I hate everything about it...I don't fit in here....I am sure to get mugged.....Ivan should feel ashamed for sending me to this section of town by myself.

I walk into Kokopelli, and take a seat in the cozy, warm salon. Things are looking up...I like the funky decor, the little couch is comfy, there are lots of good magazines to read...they bring me a steaming cup of organic green tea AND...oh dear....there are fancy baked cinnamon twists sitting out for the guests to enjoy...and they are good....SHIT....a salon that serves snackies while you wait...oh dear...I like it already, but am trying my best not to.

Then I meet the lovely Lori, we immediately step into an easy conversational flow...I like her. I bring two photos of celeb hair that I would like her to magically recreate. I brought these same photos into my last guy...and clearly he missed the mark on all accounts. She says it should be no probs...cuts my hair dry which is a first...and actually thins out my already fine hair, in order to make it appear more full...AND it worked! Then she washed my hair and I felt a second visit coming on....she gave me a nice, strong head massage (which the last guy never did) and other than food...that is just the way to my heart (take note husband).

Then she blew out my hair, curled it AND.......I LOVED it....I looked effin gorgeous...best cut I think I have ever had...and she achieved exactly the look I was going for!

Now I will have to style it myself and see how it goes...but I have a really good feeling about it. Afterwards, I did indeed treat myself to a visit to the famously amazing Bosa foods, and thought....I guess, I will have to change my criteria....perhaps having a stylist who actually cuts my hair awesomely well should be number one.....besides, technically I am travelling for food as well, which is an incentive I will always Enjoy!

No comments: