Monday, January 17, 2011

Cooking with Mickey!

Yesterday was as lovely as a Sunday could be! It was tea and muffin day...and even though it was raining out....we geared up with umbrellas and started to walk. We ran into some friends along the way for a nice little chat, and then carried on. We were going to go to our usual place Aphrodite's. But instead Ivan suggested we walk towards Point Grey...and as we walked along, up Alma then down 10th, we passed a little place called My Local Cafe (3770 W10th). There was a sign out front saying gluten free baking...I immediately wanted to try it out, and so thrilled I did. It is a great little spot and has a huge variety of gluten free baking and entrees. I opted to try the ginormous pumpkin and pear muffin and Ivan had the blueberry banana. I was thrilled with my choice...it was absolutely delicious and I couldn't believe it was gluten free...moist and still warm from the oven, filled with pumpkin seeds and lots of love. Ivan wasn't as thrilled about his choice, as he felt it was "rubbery"...I had a few bites and would have to disagree...I thought it was light and fluffy...although maybe a little on the bouncy side. They have a case filled with gluten free lasagna and salads and wonderful lunch options..



So we sat in peace, I read my book, Ivan read the paper, we lingered and chatted, sipped our tea and coffee, nibbled our muffins and had a perfect morning together.



We started on the walk back, stopping for our usual Sunday produce stock up, and back home to call Ivan's Uncle Mickey. We were expecting him and Ivan's cousin Grant (who I had yet to meet), for dinner. But they had left a message saying they would be dropping over earlier than expected, so would arrive around 3pm. So, I didn't have to worry about making dinner...or so I thought! They arrived and we had a lovely visit over tea and conversation...then an hour or so later, my dear husband decides to say....so, what are your plans...are you staying for a while...should we go out for some dinner....OR hey Heather...can you make something? OMG, as if you said that you dink...I immediately froze...I am opposite of a "spontaneous" cook...I don't just whip shit together...I research recipes, buy the ingredients and then prepare. So I just shook my head no...mouth gaping that he would even suggest that...unsure what was the polite thing to do.



There was a bit of an awkward silence....they decided to stay and chat for a while longer....when a thought occurred to me...yesterday I had bought some new fancy pasta, olives and spicy salami from my trip to Bosa foods, we had just bought a load of fresh produce and I had some frozen prawns kicking around. I could make a pasta....so I quickly share my prawn pasta idea with the our guests, and the most wonderful thing happened...Ivan's 80 year old Uncle Mickey blurts out a super easy recipe...AND offers to help!!!! I was delighted...a can of crushed tomatoes simmered down in a bit of butter and oil, garlic, paprika (wonderful unique addition), a few orange peppers tossed in at the end along with the prawns and voila! I roasted up some Parmesan broccoli on the side (my new fave way to eat it) as Uncle Micky cooked away with me in the kitchen....I LOVED it....it was so much fun...who knew he was such a foodie. He told me all about the authentic Indian dishes he makes (as he grew up in India), how to properly saute bok choy and a bunch of other lovely tips....so I made sure to invite ourselves over to his place for dinner!



The four of us sat, ate, and talked....no dessert...dang...I have to have some sort of emergency plan for that one next time. I never fancied myself as an impromptu kind of cook...had to plan days in advance with friends....but with some essentials in the pantry and freezer...I am now armed and dangerous....so I dare you to "pop by" ....because I am sure you will Enjoy!

1 comment:

Tcermak said...

Very cute blog, I only just recently stumbled upon it.