Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Creating Space

This past weekend I just had to clean. I always feel at the beginning of each year, that I need to start fresh...out with the old...create space.

I hate cleaning...if I had a million bucks, I would certainly hire someone to do it for me...that said....there is almost something therapeutic about cleaning your space. Clutter in my physical surroundings seems to create clutter in my brain. Too much stuff squeezed into too little space. So I decided to start with the bedroom. I went through my closet and dresser drawers and took everything out and created three piles....toss, donate, consign. I consign a lot of my clothing...you know...those pieces that you bought on a whim, without careful consideration, because they were a "good deal" yet they sit in the closet, tags still attached..never warn...(the ones your husband scolds you for) yes, those pieces I take to my local consignment store. I get a bit of cash every few months...and why the heck not!

I actually stuffed two HUGE green garbage bags full of "toss" items! I couldn't believe it...we live in a condo, and I have had two huge bags filled with absolute shit taking up valuable space. My rule is..if I haven't warn it in over 1 year...it goes. Sometimes I feel some sort of bond with these inanimate items..well maybe in the spring with my pink heals??...but nope..if I stick to my 1yr rule...out it goes. AND...it feels wonderful!

Sunday I moved onto my office and cleared out my filing cabinet and tossed a bunch of crap...low and behold, I actually have space on the shelves...how wonderful. I have extra room in my dresser and closet...hopefully for new clothes that I LOVE!

I think it is important to cleanse your physical space if not every few months, at the very least each January....it just feels like a fresh start. I updated my vision board with new photos..set some new goals for the year, and really enjoy opening my drawers and closets to find order, organization and space...exactly what my brain needs...craves...and god knows is deprived of often...my husband calls me his "little slobalina" I am not proud of this term...and I really really want to earn a new term...something like queen of calm, or zen mastress...because I certainly believe that a beautiful space = a beautiful mind.

So set aside a day, or a weekend...or if you have kids..perhaps just an hour, and chip away at a "messy" project... be sure to reward yourself with chocolate afterwards...then sit back, relax in your new found space and Enjoy!

No comments: