Friday, January 14, 2011

An Appreciation for my Travels

Considering yesterday's thoughts about all of the things that South America does not have, I figured it would only be fair to reminisce about the wonderful things it does have.



These are just a few of the things I found true appreciation for in my travels to Peru and Bolivia.



Fruits and Veg-There is an abundance of big, beautiful ORGANIC fruits and veg. Some of the markets we saw put our local ones to shame...piles upon piles of gorgeous gleaming fruit for pennies. A big difference from your local organic market that charges $10 for a grape.



Fresh fruit juices-Almost every single restaurant we went to...even the crappier ones, served fresh squeezed fruit juices...and not just orange..but passion fruit, strawberry, kiwi...you name it...they had it...and a for only about $1 for a huge, brimming glass full. Last time I ordered freshly squeezed o.j. at a local diner, they gave me a glass the size of a childrens sippy cup and charged me $6...pathetic. In Bolivia you couldn't walk down the street more than 5 minutes before a mobile o.j. vendor would pass by!



Spanish- really, such a beautiful language...I feel inspired to learn it, and I may just sign up for a course this year.



Deffinition of beauty-I did not see one super model in Bolivia. Instead I saw big, beautiful ladies, shaped like a spin top. Covered in bright layers of cloth, with long black hair and a bolero hat secured to their heads. The city was not plastered with posters of anorexic models, and most of the days they just sat in the sun by their sales stands, snacking on a good portion of their wares.



Saltenas-Sweet little pastery pillows, filled with love (aka chicken and veggies with a gorgeous spice) If you can get them freshly baked, they are wonderful...as are their empanadas. Best place for both is Sucre, Bolivia at a little shop where the nuns make them! Take note...these are a morning snack..are are not served fresh in the afternoon.



Breads-As I had mentioned before, I had not eaten so much white bread since I was a little kid. But every morning for breakfast, there was white bread served. All of our breakfasts were included, so it was a little continental/buffet style...but I have to say...I never felt bloated, or badly and much of it was delicious! Many of the places served freshly made rolls or buns from the locals. I have to say, I quite enjoyed skipping my protein shakes, and instead having a fresh white bun, smothered in butter, with a little slice of cured meat and local cheese for breakfast!!!!



Pace of Life-Yes, the driving was psycho crazy...but most of the towns we went to had people selling things at their little stands...and quite the sales people they were...many were fast asleep in a corner on a pile of the clothes they were selling. No computers, no blackberrys to "make the next deal" no rushing to an appointment....just, slow, still content.



Meeting new Friends-okay, maybe this isn't specific to S. America...but there is something about using horrible bathrooms, dodging traffic, and effed up bowel movements that brings people closer together.

There are certainly many more...but that is all I can think of for now...perhaps when I upload my photos, you can see for yourself and enjoy!

No comments: