Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Sunday Family Dinners

Sunday family dinners were a tradition for my brother Shayne and I growing up...often this was one of the only nights we didn't have hockey or volleyball or some sort of practice to go to, so we always ate dinner together as a family...often with the grand folks. I think this is so important...especially today when everyone is so busy...so techie...so absent...Sunday family dinner is a MUST in order to re-connect and laugh together as a family. And I don't think we truly appreciated it growing up..as much as we do now when reflecting back. Mom or Gran would cook all day and we would feast at night...the meal was often roasted chicken with mashed potatoes and mom's best mushroom gravy...with a side of veg of course..followed by dessert.



Easter was rapidly approaching us (yes Easter was last month, but I didn't have a blog then, so I'm gonna tell you about it now)...and I wanted to fill my table with friends and prepare my very first Easter Meal...Sunday family dinner style. I went for it, and made a perfectly beautiful roasted chicken, that I tried brining for a few hours in a salt/sugar mixture...wow..you must try it...very tender...and all the typical fixins...but I also incorporated a modernized form of a traditional family treat!!! The pierogi...ahhh the little soft pillowy pierogi...we grew up eating this delight on special occassions such as Christmas and Easter...homemade by mom, gran, aunties and uncles....and everyone had their own unique recipe. I tried a very modern version from one of my favorite cookbooks called Rebar...its a vegetarian cookbook...but it is amazing...as is the actual restaurant in Victoria BC...you must go! http://www.rebarmodernfood.com/ So we tried out their roasted yam pierogi....with caramelized leeks and smoked Gouda (get the real stuff..not processed), and they are completely amazing!!!



I wrangled my husband Ivan in to help me with the process..and on a rainy Saturday..what could be more fun then sipping tea, listening to music and making pierogi with your hubby...I know I know men are thinking...I'd rather be watching hockey with the boys.....and so would Ivan...so I have no point...well my point is...its actually a fun activity to do together..something different...involve wine or beers if it will help! The result is a freezer full of gorgeous pierogi!!!



They went alongside my roasted chicken dinner perfectly...just be sure you saute some onions in butter and fry them up a little after boiling...a dab of sour cream ..yum! Which actually reminds me...don't use the dough recipe from Rebar...it sucks...it came out dry and inflexible...instead use my cousin and dear friend Yvonne's recipe of equal parts flour and sour cream....get a big tub to start and see how you go...but this dough is perfect...soft and pliable..and it doesn't use near as much flour as other recipes so its much lighter..you don't feel too heavy after eating them.



We froze the pierogi individually and plopped them into a freezer baggy..and enjoyed a few again last night...alongside some fresh green beans and sauteed spinach with garlic...HELLO... a veggie feast in and of itself !!!!



Enjoy

No comments: