Friday, May 14, 2010

Heron Rock Bistro

I am currently on the Island for a work trip. I am over here every 6 weeks or so, visiting clients and enjoying the beautiful sites and sounds of what this gorgeous piece of land has to offer. I especially love coming over here when the weather is warm. I am in Victoria this trip, and a morning walk along the waters edge is a beautiful way to start the day.



I arrived on Wednesday morning to participate in a golf tournament at Arbutus Ridge in Cobble Hill....a very reasonably priced course...quite forgiving....aka I only lost 10 balls vs the 30 I normally do (can you tell I'm a pro! HA)



Last night I dined at a local bistro called Heron Rock...its been in the James Bay neighbourhood for 5 years and I met the owner last December at a party, his name is Ben Peterson...so as soon as I heard he was a chef...of course we talked food...and I liked his style...and the way he spoke about food...so naturally I HAD to try his place out.



Not much to look at from the outside....and you would never stumble upon it unless someone told you where it was...but the locals seem to keep it jam packed .....the inside still isn't much to look at....as my friend Aryn said, she wouldn't find it all that appealing during the day....but they dim the lights as the evening went on and it almost had a New Orleans type feel....fitting as apparently they have live jazz on the weekends.



The menu looked amazing...we started off with a litre of their house white....good for 1 glass...but too sweet after that, so we moved onto bubbles (always a winner in my heart). The menu and concept of the restaurant is French...but a very unpretentious French....the first part of the menu had your salads and appies...so we started off with the calamari that was cooked perfectly, tender and not too much breading at all....I hate those places (like Earls or any other chain food place for that matter...where all you are eating is the batter and wondering what the heck is on the inside)...this calamari is a must! Fresh house made bread to follow...and OMG, you have to go to this restaurant just to try the bread....my dining companions agreed instantly....this was amazing...brought fresh from the oven....the outside was delicate and flaky almost like a croissant...but the inside was soft and melt in your mouth....just go....and ask for an extra side of their whipped garlic/herb butter....we asked for seconds, but then retracted our request once the food came because the portions were huge!!!



So they have the coolest thing on their menu....a build your own plate concept...very tapas style....and very cool....they have a huge variety of mix n match....from individual fresh oysters to olives and everything in between. But the poutine also grabbed our eye...ahhhh so French....I have only tasted poutine once, in Montreal...and it is truly a sin, only to be had once a year....and when you see pulled pork poutine...well come on.....you have to try it....so we did....please do NOT order this for yourself - bring a friend or two...the portion is huge...and it is such a rich dish....don't wear your skinny jeans when ordering...but do order it, because it was delish. We also did a nice mix and match off the build your own plate....olives, 3 cheeses, duck confit, chilled salmon with house made crackers that were unbelievably tasty....Leslie Stowe Rain Water Crisps move aside!....I think the most expensive item on the tapa menu was the salmon at 7 bucks....but the portions you get of everything was very generous...we left quite a bit on our plates to say the least....but it was very fresh..and such a fun and relaxing way to eat and linger over a meal. The duck confit was a little on the salty side..but I love duck confit so it was still pretty good..



They have a feature pasta night every Thursday...3 different pastas to choose from, each sounding better than the last....a big bowl of pasta, their gorgeous bread and a glass of house wine for $19 bucks....I need to go back, just to try that out....along with all of the other items on the menu..... http://www.heronrockbistro.ca/ I am giving this place full grades....go, you must.



Enjoy!

No comments: