Monday, May 17, 2010

The Masthead Restaurant

Vancouver Island seems to have so many hidden treasures...it is really a foodies playground...you just have to look for it! After our wonderful experience at the Heron Rock Bistro in Victoria, the next evening we were absolutely spoiled with an amazing dinner out in the Cowichan Valley! Ivan and I were visiting friends who live in Maple Bay...one step into their amazing house and wow....I could easily live the life that they enjoy there!!!



We claim to be real "city folk" but there is something so pleasant, simple and enjoyable about the Island life...like a gourmet camping retreat...you can watch the water ripple, while breathing in the pure air and enjoy the sounds of nature, while you drink James Bond Martini's a la Jim, and feast on seafood....really the perfect combination in my books!



Our friends Linda and Jim took us to The Masthead http://www.themastheadrestaurant.com/, a cute little place along the water...it is apparently spot prawn season...so extremely fresh..right off the boat... I HAD to start with a plate...if you have never tried spot prawns, they are very different from normal prawns, in flavour and consistency. Spot prawns are very soft in texture...quite small...but almost melt in your mouth. I split my order with my hubby who enjoyed the jumbo scallops served on mascarpone risotto...and WOW..those are a must...absolutely delicious..probably some of the best we have ever had...I had the Halibut for my main...it was pretty good...a tiny bit on the bland side...not the best Iv had...but still quite nice. I also had a bite of Jim's Venison...Iv not actually ever ordered Venison myself...but the sample was amazing, with a hint of spice...cinnimon...I will have to try this for next time....and Linda loved her local Cowichan Farm duck.



They placed a large bowl of steamed veggies...Pot au Feu (if you want to sound like a real fancy ass) in the middle to share, which was a nice touch...other than the fact that Ivan ate most of them leaving scraps for the rest....what I did enjoy was very nice! I like this restaurant because it has a focus on all local products...which is so refreshing and really makes you feel good about what you are consuming....the other thing that makes you feel good is the wine...Cloudy Bay Sauvignon Blanc pairs perfectly with seafood...light and crisp and you can drink glass after glass!



Dessert followed with a berry crumble...which was typical, but exactly what we ordered.... and a banana's foster type dish...caramelized banana's done right in front of your table...with the fancy flambe show performed by our fantastic server...who was confident, kind and very attentive...the flambe was nice and warm served over vanilla ice cream.



I certainly would recommend a little side trip for anyone visiting the Island, to try out the Masthead...and if you are already living there..then...



Enjoy!

No comments: