Friday, May 28, 2010

Joe Fortes...a Vancouver Classic

This is a no brainer. A classic restaurant in Vancouver, that has been around for years. I am fortunate to go to Joe Fortes a few times a year, despite the prices. Yes, its expensive, and yes, its worth it.

Their rooftop patio is exquisite in the summer...great for people watching while sipping martinis and nibbling a few appies. Lunch has a very reasonably priced menu and is a wonderful place to impress a client or your boss.

I really believe Joe Fortes also has the best Oyster bar...they are perfect, very fresh and incredibly tasty. I remember the first time I tried an Oyster...it was about 10 years ago and I gagged it down. But now, I love them...with a little Champagne....need I say more. I prefer Fortes Oysters to Rodney's Oyster House, because they seem to be more fresh. Rodney's serves up a variety of 4-5 dressings and vinaigrette's alongside the Oysters..sweet to spicy...which I think mask the true flavour and silk of an Oyster. A splash of fresh lemon juice, and slide that baby down....to me Oysters taste like sex.....picture that next time you are enjoying one, and tell me you didn't like it...please! If you need to get into the swing of things...try Rodney's first so you can take some baby steps with the sauces....plus that restaurant is filled with Hot, muscly waiters and bar tenders...the eye candy never hurts. A little shuck and fu*k for the single gals...why not...that'll get you into the Oyster groove.

Once you have had your fun at Rodney's, you must graduate to Fortes! The other night, the boss was in town, and so generously treated the team to a dinner out. We started with the seafood tower, which was amazing....split 1 amongst 4 people, is plenty to start...ridiculously expensive, but a fun variety none the less.

I enjoyed the sable fish for dinner, which was perfectly done...nice balance of sweet and savory, with bok choy, and enoki mushrooms....a most highly recommended dish by our server (and now by yours truly). Which reminds me..the service is always good, the waiters are well educated on their product and they always show confidence. How do I know...most times when ordering at a restaurant, my hubby and I will say...bring me whatever dish will make us want to come back again. This can intimidate many a server....you can tell how confident or unconfident they are about their positions, the restaurant, the food...really everything. If they seem unconfident, then we will choose our own items....but if they feel positive about their recommendation....go for it....dining can really be an adventure!

Only disappointing item of the night was the banana cream pie...kind of a deconstructed version...whole caramelized bananas with a bruleed crust (those were good)...whipped cream and the banana/vanilla pudding, which tasted chalky to me, like it was out of a box. I have had their cheese cakes before, which are delish...so aim in that direction, and...

Enjoy!

No comments: