Tuesday, May 11, 2010

How it all began.....

I was raised by my wonderful folks, Lorne and Shirley in Calgary, Alberta.....My brother Shayne and I grew up sitting at the breakfast table imagining what we would be eating for dinner. My mum is an amazing cook, and her and dad would spend almost every weekend entertaining guests (still do), and I remember falling asleep to our home filled with wonderful smells and the laughter of the guests trickling up to my room into the wee hours. I never took an interest in cooking, instead I was more like my dad, who would take all of mum's carefully prepared dinner from the night before and plop it all into a big pan with a schwack of butter, then call out to us "hey kids, MUSH is ready!!" and we would excitedly run into the kitchen for our weekend morning treat.

In University, amongst the Dairy Queen/KFC/McDonalds/Pizza Pops and Campbell's Chunky Soup, I actually figured out how to make sweet and sour meatballs....I was so proud of myself, I ended up eating this almost every week...ask my poor cousin Kristyn...she was a Veg head at the time, and she remembers my feetballs (as she would call them) quite well.

I moved to France after Uni. and lived with an amazing family as their Au Pair...and it was there, that my palate experience grew even wider (as did my ass)...growing up in Alberta BEEF country, my experience with the broad range of foods was a bit limited...I had never heard of Egg Plant, or tasted bocchini with fresh basil. In France you can grow herbs year round (in Calgary...not so much) so I would walk to the front door porch to grab some sprigs of fresh rosemary, or cilantro and watch Lisa (the mom I worked for) make magic...I started to feel intrigued....

Then 7 years ago, I moved to beautiful Vancouver BC...in hopes of becoming the next big movie star....I was broke and had no friends or family close by. In desperate need of making friends....I thought " hey, people like to eat and drink....so I will learn to cook and invite people over" and that's what I did. I went to the Library and took out cookbooks and magazines and copied the recipes by hand, as I couldn't afford to buy them at a store. and...wouldn't you know...it WORKED!! I now have a wonderful circle of friends, and am married to the most amazing man in the Universe and we live a fabulous life...entertaining often, experimenting in the gorgeous kitchen Ivan built me...he is my eternal test subject for my new creations.....it isn't always perfect...but it sure is fun!!

I am so passionate about food, but I work in an entirely unrelated industry...so I am excited to start blogging about my foodie experiences...I hope you will join me on my journey!!!

2 comments:

Eva said...

Hi, I really like how you write about your passion for food. I am really passionate about food and wine too, and lucky for me I live in the same city as you do!!
Love to hear about dining treasures that you've found around the city.

Heather said...

Hi Eva! Thanks for your feedback....I checked out your blog as well, and there are lots of fun tips in there too. Ill have to use some of them after indulging in all this food!