Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Trick for Tomatoes

I was watching Rachel Ray the other day...who I think has some pretty great, quick family style recipes. I have one of her cook books and its loaded with great quick meals....I can see it coming in quite handy when we have kids. Most of her recipes I probably wouldn't entertain with...but for a quick casual meal with close friends...maybe.

But on her show the other day she had the BEST trick for cutting cherry tomatoes or grapes. You take two lids from plastic containers that are the same size (ex recycled yogurt or sour cream or even tops of the zip lock containers). Place a bunch of cherry tomatoes on one side (top facing down), then gently press and hold the other lid on top and run a knife in between the two tops....a perfect cut! And this means you can cut ten or more at once vs. one at a time...it worked like a charm for my roasted tomato pasta last night! This can be done with grapes too.

My pasta didn't quite turn out as well as I wanted....It would have, but I had too much pasta and too little sauce..which consisted of roasted cherry tomatoes, arugula and prosciutto, with a little red chilli fried up in Olive Oil...amazing combo..BUT you have to make sure you have the right amount of sauce per noodle....my take away lesson...always double the sauce, because left overs can be saved and savored at another time!

Enjoy.

No comments: