Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Breakfast and a Hike

To continue with our Whistler trip...the next morning, we walked around the village and enjoyed the people watching, and by noon we were starving...well perhaps I should say I was starving. Ivan's never starving...always content..hungry when I feed him...fine when I don't. But I, on the other hand, turn into a raging biaaatch when I am hungry. I can almost feel my blood sugars drop out the bottom of my feet and I morf into a real animal...please tell me that this happens to other women too??? anyone???

Well most times, I try to be proactive and bring snacks everywhere I go...emergency Kashi granola bars (you can get them at Cost-co, and are the only ones I will eat as the rest are filled with absolute shit) stashed in the car, almonds in my purse...I do my best, but sometimes I am empty handed and its just not pretty. Our girlfriend Cara once told me she gives her hubby a 15min warning...meaning, he had better find her food in 15 minutes...or else. I like this idea...so have been using it often. It actually works....sometimes. The other issue with me, is that I wont just eat ANYTHING. I don't eat junk food, or fast food and try to avoid processed food....all things that you can easily grab on the spot....meaning, we have to find something edible to ME. This can be a challenge at times, but it just so happened that I knew of this great little, local cafe called Beet Root Cafe 4340 Lorimer Road #129 (sorry, no web page). I have eaten here twice now and enjoyed each time very much. Its good, quick, casual food. They have great wraps, and they heat them up..use real ingredients (aka real chicken vs. Safeway deli meat...can you really even call that meat??), their soup is homemade and they also have a list of sandwiches made to order...a great spot for breaky, lunch or brunch!

We carried on home after filling our bellies with a huge breakfast burrito filled with fluffy eggs, cheese and bacon, with some house made salsa on the side....blood sugars regular once again, with a re-appearance of "nice" Heather.

We drove part way back to Vancouver, when Ivan decided we should hike the Chief! Great idea for a hang over...not! Neither of us had ever done this before, so it seemed like a good idea at the time. Totally unprepared for a hike...not to mention we are both in the worst shape we have ever been in...made for an interesting afternoon. We stopped to pick up some water (thank GOD) and innocently carried on. WOW, is all I can say. It took us almost 3hrs to the 2nd peak and back, with a lot of heavy breathing...and not in a sexy way...more like a beached walrus type way. But wow, was it worth it. Probably one of the most difficult things I've done in a long time...Ivan kept saying how proud he was of me....as I straggled behind...pretending to meditate and listen to the sounds of nature..the stillness of the forest...but really I was just trying to catch my breath, and remained far behind so he wouldn't see my eyes bulging out of their sockets.

The top part was crazy cool however...I won't ruin the experience for you...but you should do it...maybe not hung over...and not wearing a button up work shirt like Ivan was...or a double layer winter jacket, like I was....but who can prepare for those spontaneous moments in life...not I (although I can assure you we feasted cookies the second we got back to the car). I highly recommend this hike, and I hope you ENJOY!

No comments: