Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Cures For a Sad Day


Do you ever have one of those days where your heart is a pile of mush and all you can do is cry all day??? Okay, maybe the ladies have heard of this before...probably not the men (but possibly???). That was my day yesterday. I wont get into the specifics, but it was one of those life direction, which way is up type of raw, confusing days.

My face looked like a puffin..but not in the cute way...the sad way, so I even had to cancel dinner plans with my dear girlfriend Carmen. For some reason when I am really sad/confused/scared etc. I tend to need my own time. I don't call anyone, not even my parents (which is crazy, cause I call them a lot), I don't turn to girlfriends...and Ivan does what he can to cheer me up...which works temporarily...but I have found what works best for me is ME :)


I clawed my way through my work day and went to my wonderful Hatha yoga class after work at Semperviva (5 awesome studios with tons of different classes..really fantastic). Yoga is step #1 for me when pulling myself out of a bad mood or bad day. Moving my body in such beautiful ways subsequently calms my mind. Step #2 is always a MASSAGE! I absolutely love massages, I only know one person who hates massages and I think she is NUTZ! If I could afford to have one every day, I would! AND I almost can at Acalanatha Wellness Group at $38 dollars for 50 mins of BLISS...its such an unbelievable deal (no no... its not a rub and tug shop...although I'm sure Ivan wishes it was) You don't get all the bells and whistles of a fancy spa, but its really the massage that counts and Elaine and Sammy are amazing!!!! You can also find these prices directly across the street at Beautiful Feet but Acalanatha is a much nicer experience. They are not registered, so you can't claim it on your benefits plan..but who gives a flying Fu*k when its only 38 bucks.
So by now, I am feeling much much better and move onto step #3 of Heather Care which is a long scented bath, listening to Spa music and reading recipes....a gentle face mask in place and I have pretty much reached my happy zone.
Step #4 is food (of course). I made myself a simple salad for dinner ( instead of eating comfort food when I am feeling down, I go the opposite direction and eat well because I know comfort food aka. pizza/pasta/sweets etc...will only make me feel worse)....I haven't actually bought salad dressing in years (too many preservatives)...so for a no fail dressing that's always on hand mix 2 parts Olive Oil, 1 part balsamic, 1 part pure maple syrup, 1 part Dijon, sea salt and pepper, whisk and voila...works like a charm every time.. I paired this with a slice of grain toast drizzled with honey....my friend Anu mentioned to me over the weekend that she puts honey on her toast sometimes...and its something I have never done, and really enjoyed, as it seeps into the cracks and gets all warm....warm honey on toast...pretty darn comforting I'd say.
Hopefully your sad days are few and far between, as mine are...but if one creeps up on you, try out a few of these steps and you will be feeling bright and shiny all over again!!!
Enjoy

No comments: