Friday, July 26, 2013

White Trash for Dinner Please

So as I have mentioned in a previous blog, I have been craving a lot of different things with this pregnancy vs. my first.  Perhaps its because with my first I had made a commitment to myself to eat so healthy....and this time it was like...eh anything goes.  Luckily I haven't gained 100lbs and have maintained about the same weight gain as my first pregnancy, despite the dilly bars, cake, cookies, pizza and myriad indulgences. 

For the past few months my craving has been for cake.  Now I have always enjoyed a nice slice of cake, but now I feel like I should have a piece everyday.  Lucky for me there have been a few celebrations this year which have enabled me to consume lots of it!  Not being the fussy type, white, chocolate, banana, cupcakes....I'll take what I can get, plus the corner you may have left on your own plate!

Many times I don't really think my husband pays attention to these cravings....because, you see, I randomly talk about food all the time.  I am just like my dad.  While eating dinner, I will already be thinking about what I will make for breakfast the next day, or dinner the following night.  My mom gets disgusted with us that we can think of the next meal while we are in the middle of eating the first one....but such is the life of a foodie...always on the brain.  So it came as a complete surprise a while back when Ivan returned from a business trip out West.  He had just arrived home after five days and after all the hugs and kisses he said he had a surprise for me....immediately I asked if it was cake.  "No" he replied, I got you local BC cherries from a fruit stand.........bless my husband for knowing that the best surprise gift I could ever get would be food.  Sure I was slightly disappointed that it wasn't cake....but BC cherries were a close second!  And just as I was about to take my prize and wash em up for consumption, he pulls out a chocolate cake he had been cleverly concealing....and this wasn't just any chocolate cake....it was a McCain Deep N' Delicious!!!!! I almost bust a gut....I haven't had that cake since I was a teenager.  It's about the most white trash cake you can get, but as I mentioned before...not picky....so cake I ate!!!  My husband does really pay attention to the little details...I guess he had remembered a family conversation, reminiscing about eating those cakes as they often would come as the dessert to the KFC family bucket we would get on Friday nights.  Yes, sometimes this is what we would have for family dinner on Fridays....the coleslaw and mayo salad for the veggies, the addictive gravy and fries with that thickly battered chicken...come on, you know you had it too.   I haven't had KFC in years, nor do I ever plan on eating it again...but back in the day we loved it.

I know we were not the only family who enjoyed their Friday night "bucket"....I have heard from other friends who share the same memories.  In fact I was chatting with a girlfriend today about how frustrating it can be to try and cook a meal while your toddler is hanging off your leg and trying to touch the stove top.  She has often asked her mom for advice on this issue, to which she replies it was easy and she just did it....my own mom doesn't remember.  So my girlfriend made the realization that what we were eating for dinner in the 70s kitchen was a little different than what we cook today.  We both fondly remembered our plates laden with a pork chop, side of cream corn and slices of white bread with butter...she said she got steamed broccoli....I only remember my mom steaming veggies in those microwavable pouches full of butter (or what they claimed to be butter).  We both agreed with giggles that it would be much easier to prepare such a meal!  Instead we make quinoa pilaf, barley casserole, kale chips, baked salmon and roasted root veggies...perhaps we ought to go back to a simpler time and put the damn McCains cake back on the table.

Moms, we are NOT criticizing your cooking skills (but are very thankful that they have become so very enhanced over the years).  We are grateful for everything...and now understand why the white bread was always a staple at the table. Now I shall go and eat my last piece of Deep N' Delicious and enjoy!

No comments: