Thursday, July 25, 2013

The Ranche-A Hidden Calgary Gem

Since moving to Calgary we have had limited opportunity to explore the food scene.  But I have certainly found one place worth writing about.  In my opinion it would be considered a "hidden" gem.  I use the term "hidden" simply because if you didn't know it existed, the chances of you stumbling upon it are pretty much nill.  I have friends who have lived here all their lives and never heard of this amazing place.  Its called The Ranche and its located in the ever so scenic Fish Creek Park.  We live right on the ridge of Fish Creek and were told of this place when we moved here.

When you walk up to the charming old house, you are immediately transported to another time.....like you are on a stunning plantation in the deep south.  The grounds are kept immaculate and there are beautiful flowers dotting the property in all the right places...it just makes you smile.

A small group of us went for Ivan's 40th birthday and had a lovely time.  We went for a late dinner on a Monday night, so we pretty much had the place to ourselves.  This is not the place to go if you are looking to see and be seen...its all about the food and the experience. If you are looking for a bit more of a lively, chattery room...I may suggest going on a weekend.  The service was perfect and the food even better.  This is also the place to be a bit more adventurous with your palate, as they offer a variety of wild, local game.  It was a chilly night, and the dining room was so grand and welcoming, I was in the mood for a cozy, comforting dish.  I opted for the slow roasted wild boar shoulder and basically couldn't speak through the entirety of my meal....each bite was perfect and so delicious, I didn't want it to end....thankfully they offer substantial portion sizes, but we were still happy we ordered a side of the king oyster mushrooms as they were to die for.

Ivan was feeling very adventurous and tried the wild northern caribou and was pleasantly surprised.  He had never tried caribou before and also enjoyed his meal immensely. Our dining companions also seemed to really enjoy their dishes, and we even saved enough room for dessert.  The desserts we ordered were a bit on the small size for sharing...but still a fantastic end to an amazing meal.

I was then recently invited back to the Ranche with a girlfriend of mine who suggested we go for lunch.  I didn't realize they did lunch and I am so thrilled we went.  We sat outside on the patio that surrounds the house and I seriously felt like I should be sitting on a porch swing sipping lemonade and fanning myself...its completely that charming.  Once again, everything on the menu sounded amazing...but both myself and my dining companion opted for the heritage chicken confit sandwich....which seriously was the best sandwich I have ever eaten and I want to go back today to have another.  This is a rich dish...but I love that its open faced so you can feel a little more refined eating with cutlery vs. trying to fit all the right bites into your mouth with your paws. The combination of the chicken, bacon and applewood smoked cheddar was simply to die for...I went for a side salad vs. the fries and am glad I did...I think the fries would have put me over the edge, and this way I didn't feel guilty enough not to have dessert!  I tried their semifredo (keeping in mind their menu changes frequently) and it was overthetop amazing.  I don't think you can go wrong with ANYTHING you order at the Ranche. 

This is the perfect place to lunch (and I have also heard their weekend brunch is fantastic as well) or enjoy a romantic dinner.  Gather a group together to share the experience, or not, but you will be impressed so please do Enjoy!

No comments: