Thursday, June 16, 2011

Tips for non-sports lovers

Last night we had a bunch of people over to watch the Stanley Cup Final game.  In my earlier posts I had mentioned how I really dislike hockey and find it so time consuming that I feel my hubby disappears for months on end....so I was happy that it was all finally over last night.  I suppose the outcome was terribly disappointing for some, and not for others.

Ivan took it very well, and although I "think" he is obsessed with the game, his life clearly isn't dictated by the outcome as much as I may have thought.  He was a bit sad that the Canucks didn't win, but was like..oh well, whatever..it is what it is.

But then there is my brother....who's emotions and life I think are a bit more dictated by the win/loss of "his" team.  He HATES the Canucks...like I mean, he pours so much energy into hating them, I think it may be bad for his health.  He decided to passionately support ANY team that the Canucks went up against during the playoffs...he went so far as to buy a Bruins Jersey...what a nut.  Out of the 9 or 10 people that were over last night, he was the only one who was so happy and cheerful it was kinda funny.

I must reiterate the fact that I simply don't get it....now, I will admit the playoffs were kinda fun, because we did end up getting together with many friends to have dinner and watch the game together over the past month....so it was a good excuse to see some folks.  But to have so much emotion invested in an entity outside of your control would really drive me bonkers.  But my bro has always been that way...I guess we are all different....and clearly there were many people who were so passionately brainwashed by this thing we call sport that they took to disgraceful measures.  These people need to find something else they can pour their beliefs and venom into....not destroying a city and injuring people...so sad.

I will say that I enjoyed the evening immensely....and the food was yummy...I am really getting the hang of this cooking for larger crowds thing....Asian slaw, baked beans with smoky bacon, burgers, grilled portabellos and roasted asparagus....watching sports isn't so bad so long as there is lots of delicious foods and fun friends to toast!

Enjoy

No comments: