Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Pearl Barley

I made a recipe the other day using Pearl Barley.  In my continued efforts to find gluten/wheat free foods to enjoy, I think I hit the jackpot here!  Now research does show that Barley does have a small amount of Gluten content so should be avoided by celiacs, and I am not a celiac, and apparently this gluten is different than the gluten found in Wheat.  And it is on my "safe" list of items to eat.  Anyway, I don't think I have ever prepared Barley before, so it was fun and super easy to try.

I found the recipe in one of my most favorite books, bought for me by my dear friend Aryn called Meals in Heals .  It had olives, sundried tomatoes, capers and a bunch of other yummy stuff.  We have been pigging out on it for the past few days as it kept beautifully in the fridge...so healthy.

So what I learned about making barley....the water to barley ratio didn't seem to matter all that much...I would say double the water per cup of barley and simmer like you would rice...it took about 30mins and was so nice and creamy, yet firm...I just LOVED this grain. I get tired of eating Quinoa sometimes and barley feels so much more rich and luxurious on the tongue...I think you could add just about anything to it..use it as a side instead of potatoes or rice just to mix things up.  There are a bunch of recipes for barley risotto which I would imagine due to the consistency would be amazing!

Give this power food a whirl and enjoy!

1 comment:

Aryn said...

I have a recipe for you if you like barley!!! It's soup and it's super yummy. Jeff, Bill and Rob all have loved eating it which is saying a lot because they don't like soup!!! I'll email it to you. :o)